Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split large CFD models

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
sebastian.sosa
382 Views, 3 Replies

Split large CFD models

Hello everybody
First of all, let me state that my background is in FEA, not CFD, but I turn to this forum to transfer a question from a fellow co-worker that is starting to evaluate Autodesk CFD for our Company. Thinking about the problems he would be solving, some questions regarding the Autodesk CFD software capabilities have arisen. He has previously worked with other CFD software (and successfully performed this kind of procedures)
So here is the question, is it possible to map the results of a cfd analysis into another cfd file as a BC? Sometimes we might need to “split” large (or complex) problems into several smaller or “simpler” ones. Something like this: First you want to simulate the flow profiles inside a large pipe line section to develop the flow up until a flow-control devise. Then, you would simulate the flow passing through that flow-control devise and the latter discharge of the system. Is it possible separate and then couple those two scenarios? If so, are there any issues for something like this thinking that one is a pressurized system and the other one is a free-surface problem?

Thank you all.

Best regards,

Sebastián

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: sebastian.sosa

Hi Sebastián,

Welcome to the CFD forum 🙂

I would say that no, we cannot map results from one analysis to another. This topic does come up often though and is already on our Idea Station, feel free to vote it up!

We can run both of the scenario types you mention though, if that helps?

Kind regards,

Jon

Message 3 of 4
sebastian.sosa
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Hi Jon, and thanks for your reply.

Well, that's going to help when the developed flow exiting the first scenario can be "easily" reproduced by traditional BC for the second 🙂 ...So I guess when it doesn't, we'll have to rely on the power of the cloud to solve the whole thing at once.

I have fulfilled my duty and gave my vote to that idea, hope that Autodesk give it a go.

Best reagards and thanks again

Message 4 of 4
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: sebastian.sosa

You are very welcome!

Don't hesitate to visit us again once you are running simulations and need assistance. We will be here 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report