Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapping the exit velocity profile of a simulation to the inlet of another

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
253 Views, 1 Reply

Mapping the exit velocity profile of a simulation to the inlet of another

Hi, 

I need to simulate flow and heat transfer in a complex geometry which doesn't have any natural symmetry planes. Since it is computationally prohibitive to run the entire system in 1 model, the only way I can run it is to split the model in half - by a plane whose normal is parralel to the specified flow direction. So I plan to run the first half of the model, obtain the temperature of the air exiting that model and use that as the inlet air temperature for the second half of the model. This should be valid since I'm running an incompressible flow model (ingnoring errors due to the possible conduction of heat back from the 2nd half to the 1st half).

My question is - is there some accurate way to map the exit velocity profile from one model to the inlet of another model? Both faces will have the same area. 

Thanks in advance for your consideration,

Nikhil

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
ryan.arnaudin
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Nikhil,

Unfortunately this is probably going to be a mostly manual process today. We did add a linear spatial variation for temperature BCs, and both linear & fully developed for velocity BCs. Beyond that if you wish to capture some gradient you will need to split the inlet face and apply the appropriate BCs in a piecewise fashion.

We are tracking a couple enhancement requests on this subject, I would encourage you to go add a vote to those as well as any additional comments you may have.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/simulation-cfd-ideastation/mapping-velocity-pressure-results/idi-p/434...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/simulation-cfd-ideastation/map-results-from-a-previous-case-to-a-new-c...

Thanks,

Ryan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report