Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues importing obj-file using Surface Wrap

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
585 Views, 8 Replies

Issues importing obj-file using Surface Wrap

Hi!

I am having issues when importing my models made in Autodesk Infraworks 360. As Autodesk CFD does not support the file types exported by Infraworks 360 (obj. , dae or fbx.) I am trying to use Surface Wrap as I thought is the solution. However, even though Surface Wrap detects my model, it does import the file at all. No error message or anything pops up after the message on the image below.

Possible reasons for the problem: The file is quite big, just under 1 Gb. I am running Autodesk CFD on a windows-partition on an iMac.

Any suggestions for solving my problem of importing a obj. file to Autodesk CFD?

Surface_wrap_issue.PNG

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: Anonymous

Might you share an image of what the file looks like? 

Are you OK to run external aero only on this? As per any surface wrap model?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Hi, thanks for replying!

Yes, it is a relatively big model made in InfraWorks 360 covering an area of about 200 km^2 and file size about 2 GB. If the size is a problem I could make it  smaller both in file size and covered area. One of your videos on youtube says that the 2017 version of CFD finally is able to import obj-files, so it may mean that the 2016 version doesn't.

Optimized-northwestward.PNG

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Hi, thanks for replying!

Yes, it is a relatively big model made in InfraWorks 360 covering an area of about 200 km^2 and file size about 2 GB. If the size is a problem I could make it  smaller both in file size and covered area. One of your videos on youtube says that the 2017 version of CFD finally is able to import obj-files, so it may mean that the 2016 version doesn't.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Hi, thanks for replying!

Message 6 of 9
Jon.Wilde

Thanks for sharing 🙂

This is a big file for us I would say, depending on the product. For CFD, its big.

How about leveraging meshmixer to try to both simplify it and make it into a solid for use in CFD?

Another really important question - what is your goal here with CFD? What are you planning to run?

Thanks,

Jon

Message 7 of 9
Mike.Grau

Hi @Anonymous,

Thank you for your post in the Forum.

Yes, @Jon.Wilde absolutely right, Meshmixer would do the job.

You can try to follow the workflow in the tutorial here

We could also import your file into the Fusion 360 mesh environment and remodel it directly.

It would be great if you could share a "Public Link" of your design via Private Message.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Thank you for your advice and sorry for spamming! I will try out Meshmixer straight away. My goal is to simulate the wind behavior to optimize the location of a 50 kW wind turbine we are planning to install this summer. I am using Flow Design, but it does not provide the option for a vertical speed profile.

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Mike.Grau

Hi, @Jon.Wild. You guys certainly makes an effort helping me, thank you!  I will try the tutorial you mentioned, and if I am still having issues I will send you a private message.  Have a great day!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report