in our company we are using cfd 2012 with dell precision workstation
every analysis is taking sometime 3 days and i have few question:
1. if we will buy strong server with 2 xeon cpu and large memory (32 giga) and win server 2008 r2 and quadro 4000
does the analysis will run faster???
2. does cfd 2012 support win server 2008 r2??
3. is there any way to work couple of station on network over one "cfd server"? what kind of license do we need? and what hardware configuration is recomended??
Yes going from 1 cpu to 2 will speed up your analyses.
For the same clock speed going from 4 cores to 8 cores will yield ~1.5x.
Adding extra memory doesn't increase speed, but it will increase the model size that you are capable of running.
For clustering, typically you will want high-speed interconnects (like Infiniband cables/cards 20Gb/s+) and Windows HPX environment.
Server2008R2 is not officially supported, however, as long as you have the prerequisites installed you should be able to get it up and running.
Thank you for the replay apolo
I have few more questions:
1. Do we need a different license of cfd for working with 2 cpus?? And do we need nvidia quadro display adaptors on the server that run the analysis??
2. Can you recommended for me for spec of hardware and software for clustering?
You can use any video card you like. We do not leverage the GPU for computations, just used for graphics processing.
As far as specs, do you have a rough budget in mind? There is no special licensing to take advantage of extra Cores.
If yo are looking to purchase something, I would tend to lean towards a single multi-cpu machine versus clustering machines as it will be cheaper overall cost as well as on the IT maintenance side of things.
~$6000 can get you a decent 8core, 12-24GB ram machine from most major brands.
Search the Autodesk Knowledge Network for more content.
New: Get an Activation Code
Mac OS X 10.12 Support
Windows 10 Support
Autodesk Online Store Help
Serial Numbers & Product Keys
Installation & Licensing
Online Activation & Registration
Network License Administration