Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free surface floodgate in 2D

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
PaulNielsen
559 Views, 5 Replies

Free surface floodgate in 2D

I am currently investigating the possibilty of simulating a flloodgate in SimCFD 2016 preferably in 2D. 

The situation is that the gate has been lowered 100mm and we want to simulate this event.

How are the free surface capabilities i 2D?

How do I define the boundary condition so that I the fluid height on the left is constant (see attached pic)? 

Right now we are only interested in wether or not the method works, not so much in accurate results. However tips on regarding domain size or whatever are appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: PaulNielsen

Simply, yes - we can do this in 3D and 2D 🙂

Check out this webinar, I think it will help you out!

Message 3 of 6
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Hi Paul,

How did this work out? All OK?

Message 4 of 6
PaulNielsen
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

I attended that webinar actually! I rewatched it now too and it doesn't really answer my question on how to keep the sealevel constant. Is assigning a flow condition at the inlet the only way to keep the body of water from sinking?

Message 5 of 6
Jon.Wilde

Very cool, glead to hear it.

Check this out, using the pressure underneath might be the solution. I have used this quite a few times now with great success.

Message 6 of 6
PaulNielsen

Cool i will try the pressure suggestion on monday. I will get back to you with that!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report