Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licences Not Cascading properly

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
g.heeley
1257 Views, 8 Replies

Licences Not Cascading properly

Hi 

We currently have a network licence that contains 7x PDSU 2013, 1 x FDSU 2012, 1x AutoCAD 2012.

(The 2013 licence is there for us to be able to run ACADE 2012)

We have 10+ users running Inventor, 1 FDS user and 1 AutoCAD user.

For some reason, the AutoCAD user is consuming a PDSU licence, and when we reach our 7 PDSU licences, and 8th user cannot get a licence (though technically there should be one from the FDSU licence)

ANy idea on why this could be happening?

Licence and Status files attached

Thanks
Greg

Greg Heeley
CAD Administrator
temperzone Ltd
Inventor Pro, Vault Pro, ACADE
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
wundrlik
in reply to: g.heeley

This one is pretty easy to solve.  It has to do with how your license file is built.  AutoCAD needs to be the first product in the list followed by PDSU, and then FDSU last.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=16981643&linkID=9240617

Vanilla AutoCAD needs to always be the first license listed in the .LIC file, if you look down to the Autodesk Inventor 2012 section in the above link, it shows that PDSU needs to appear before the FDSU.  Change your license file to reflect the changes above, then stop the license server, replace the license file and restart the server and see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks,

Ryan A Wunderlich
Message 3 of 9
DarrenP
in reply to: wundrlik

its not because of that

its because the license files were generated at different times

thats is why autocad is taking a PDSU license first because that was generated last

you need regenerate the Autocad, PDSU, FDSU on the same date and combine them together

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
wundrlik
in reply to: DarrenP

That only applies if he had multiple copies of the same software (i.e. 3 separate licenses for AutoCAD seats), see below quote from Tom Stoeckel - CM1844:

Multiple licenses for the same product and version, e.g., five licenses of AutoCAD 2012 and four

licenses of AutoCAD 2012. Unless they were issued with the same date stamp, a newer license

will supersede an older license for the same product and version.

Since the Suites are different, the date stamp shouldn't be a factor, as from my experience in a single-server model it's not an issue for me (I have 4 BDSP and 21 & 5 NW AutoCAD) the AutoCAD have the same date stamp, but my BDSP, is a later stamp, and my 26 seats are on the same day), I only use a BDSP license using MAX, Revit, or Showcase, or if I run out of AutoCAD licenses.  However, if these are all upgrades, and not new packages, I can see where a new license file from the same day may be necessary.

It may be best to do both, in the end, that way the OP has everything he needs and only has to do it once.

Ryan A Wunderlich
Message 5 of 9
DarrenP
in reply to: wundrlik

i would try rearranging the license file first then if that doesn't work try my suggestion

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
TravisNave
in reply to: DarrenP

I tend to agree with Darren on this.  I believe the reason is that the Cascading for AutoCAD was fixed for 2013 and the newer license will supersede the cascade for the 2012.  What the user should do is regenerate the entire .LIC file for all 2013 Subscriptions and do it all in the same date.  That's just best practice.

Otherwise, if they only have one AutoCAD vanilla (nw) seat, then why not just create an options file to reserve the seat for the user that needs it?  That potentially would ensure that AutoCAD is being used by that user and will not cascade into PDS. 

The status clearly shows that the AutoCAD Subscription is being superseded.  I wouldn't be surprised if it says so in the debug log.

There are only 7 seats of AutoCAD listed in the status and all are coming from PDS.  If the AutoCAD file were being properly combined then it would show 8 seats.  It doesn't:

Users of 85536ACD_2011_0F:  (Total of 7 licenses issued;  Total of 1 license in use)

"85536ACD_2011_0F" v1.000, vendor: adskflex
  floating license

jetcam TZ-4095 TZ-4095 (v1.0) (tz-vault/27000 4186), start Wed 6/20 7:27

Thus, it will never grab the single seat from the AutoCAD Subscription because the breakdown is being superseded.  Regenerate the licenses then created an options file for jetcam to RESERVE 85536ACD_2011_0F.  Seems like the best fix.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 7 of 9
g.heeley
in reply to: TravisNave

Hi All

I had already tried putting teh AutoCAD 1st, no effect.

Re-Generated all teh licences and now I get 9 Autocads :-).

So thanks for that.

Now the only is is the Inventors.

7x PDSU + 1xFDSADV should result in 8 x Inventor Pro .8x Showcase and so on for the other matching suite products. We are getting 8x Showcase, 8X ACADM etc, but only 7x Inventor. When the user with FDS installed runs "vanilla" inventor it consumes a PDSU licence.

Any thoughts?

adskflex: UP v11.7
Feature usage info:

Users of 64300ACD_F: (Total of 1 license issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 85677FDSADV_F: (Total of 1 license issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 85815PDSU_F: (Total of 7 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 85987VLTM_2013_0F: (Total of 28 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 85753VLTM_2012_0F: (Total of 28 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 85588VLTM_2011_0F: (Total of 18 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 85963PDSU_2013_0F: (Total of 7 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 85796PDSU_2012_0F: (Total of 7 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 85730ACD_2012_0F: (Total of 9 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 85875ACDMAC_2012_0F: (Total of 8 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 85678ACAD_E_2012_0F: (Total of 7 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 85762INVPRORS_2012_0F: (Total of 7 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 85837NAVSIM_2012_0F: (Total of 7 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 85677ECSCAD_2012_0F: (Total of 7 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 85607SHOWCASE_2011_0F: (Total of 8 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 85615ALSK_2011_0F: (Total of 7 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 85580MBXPRO_2011_0F: (Total of 7 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 85545AMECH_PP_2011_0F: (Total of 8 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

etc.....

Thanks
Greg

Greg Heeley
CAD Administrator
temperzone Ltd
Inventor Pro, Vault Pro, ACADE
Message 8 of 9
DarrenP

try updating to 11.10 of the license manager

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
TravisNave

It's possible that there isn't the same crossover.  You clearly have some 7s, 8s and even 9s on the crossovers that are working.  In any case, when there is PDS and FDS on the same NLM, Inventor will take PDS first per the cascade.  That's simply by design.  Inventor is one of those weird ones though that will take a cheap license until you use a pro module.  Then it will upgrade to the appropriate suite (if available.)  At this point, I'd say your NLM is probably working properly.

If you want to PM me your debug log, the full status enquiry, and your .LIC file, I'd be happy to take a look for you.  Otherwise, you should be set.  And as Darren mentioned, it is advised to run the latest NLM version - unless you're on Server 2008 R2, to which I would say 11.7 is probably a good bet. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report