Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18
hfort_az
2785 Views, 17 Replies

Why use AutoCAD

It is being questioned at my work why we are using AutoCAD instead of Google Sketchup which is cheaper. I don't know how to answer this question. Does anyone have any advice or input on how to make a case to work in AutoCAD? 

Hillary Wilmer
Architectural Engineer
Creative Works Inc.
http://www.thewoweffect.com/
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
pkolarik
in reply to: hfort_az

It depends on what you're using it for I guess.

Message 3 of 18
rkmcswain

Why buy a Ford instead of a Toyota, or Jaguar, or Audi, etc.?

It's the same scenario, and we can't really answer that for you.

As @pkolarik says, that is up to you and is probably largely based on what you do and your budget.

AutoCAD (and clones based on AutoCAD) allow you to create and/or purchase add-on programs to help automate tasks. That would be one advantage over programs that do not have this feature.

AutoCAD (and its clones again) has/have been the standard for many years, so if you work with others, you'll probably have to work with the DWG format.

Support for AutoCAD (and it's clones) is pretty broad in the user community, again based on its age and the fact that it's saturated the market.

HTH

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 4 of 18
pendean

In Addition to other replies... if you do share files with others like project partners and clients (as well as jurisdictions where cad files are required for permitting) keep in mind what file formats you are contractually obligated to send (or receive to work with) as well.

Very few companies are islands onto themselves (looking at your site, you may not be an island either).
Message 5 of 18
PetrIng
in reply to: pendean

pendean explain it very clear.

Most of design bureau share files with partners (authorities, etc.), and dwg is some sort of standard file format, other ones used lisp and others ways to adopt software to their work. It is something like MS Word, there are cheaper alternatives but someone who have partners or send docs to authorities must have MS Word.

In some cases AutoCAD is not necessary and Sketchup will do work, you need to estimate when is such a situation.

Message 6 of 18
dgorsman

Sounds like a classic architecture vs. engineering argument.  Which phrase would be more typical of your work environment: "looks good, they'll figure out how to make it" or "we can prove it works - here's the numbers".

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 18
inou

I have looked at your website and in my opinion I don't think AutoCAD is for you.

AutoCAD is like Assembly Language in programming: it is very powerful and allows you to design anything you want. You will probably increase your productivity many times over if you use another product, more suitable for your line of business.

I join other posts in confirming that you need to align with your Client's requirements. For example, we do not accept anything thay is not either Autodesk or Microstation.

Message 8 of 18
JamesPowell7164

The other contributors have given valid reasons on how to chose a CAD package but full integration with other companies is a very important point.

In the UK BIM is very big and so any CAD package must be able to accommodate, and in some cases produce, BIM objects and this needs compatibility within the wider industry. It may also involve non allied industries.

Primary reason for producing drawings is the product that your company sells whether that is architectural plans or individual engineering product.

Then look at how that is used and links in with other companies.

Then look at the market place and decide which is more economic at doing what you have just discovered.

AutoCAD is the leading CAD package for a reason - but that doesn't mean it will always fulfil exactly every requirement of every company!

Message 9 of 18
hfort_az
in reply to: pkolarik

@pkolarik wrote:

It depends on what you're using it for I guess.

I use AutoCAD here to create floor plans and elcetrcial/low voltage drawings for contractors and installers. All my work is 2d. I receive 99% of electronic files in AutoCAD and related software. 

Hillary Wilmer
Architectural Engineer
Creative Works Inc.
Message 10 of 18
hfort_az
in reply to: rkmcswain

@rkmcswain wrote:
Why buy a Ford instead of a Toyota, or Jaguar, or Audi, etc.?

It's the same scenario, and we can't really answer that for you.

As @pkolarik says, that is up to you and is probably largely based on what you do and your budget.

AutoCAD (and clones based on AutoCAD) allow you to create and/or purchase add-on programs to help automate tasks. That would be one advantage over programs that do not have this feature.

AutoCAD (and its clones again) has/have been the standard for many years, so if you work with others, you'll probably have to work with the DWG format.

Support for AutoCAD (and it's clones) is pretty broad in the user community, again based on its age and the fact that it's saturated the market.

HTH

The time saved with AutoCADs 1. customization, 2. ability to automate and 3. compatibility have become my main points.

1. I created and maintain a library with dynamic block, fields and templates.

2. Use tables to collect data. 

3. If I receive an electronic drawing it's always been in a version of a .dwg. I once received a Sketchup 3d model, but that was in addition to the .dwg. 

Hillary Wilmer
Architectural Engineer
Creative Works Inc.
Message 11 of 18
hfort_az
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:
In Addition to other replies... if you do share files with others like project partners and clients (as well as jurisdictions where cad files are required for permitting) keep in mind what file formats you are contractually obligated to send (or receive to work with) as well.

Very few companies are islands onto themselves (looking at your site, you may not be an island either).

There have been multiple times clients and jurisdictions have requested the .dwg

Hillary Wilmer
Architectural Engineer
Creative Works Inc.
Message 12 of 18
PatrickHughes

What drives the question? Is it due to Autodesk's new rental model where you pay month after month or year after year? With the loss of the perpetual license model if the concern is future rental cost why not fix on the last perpetually licensed version.

Patrick Hughes

Engineered Design Solutions
Developer of CadTempo - Cad Time Tracking
www.cadtempo.com
Message 13 of 18
hfort_az
in reply to: PatrickHughes

@PatrickHughes wrote:

What drives the question? Is it due to Autodesk's new rental model where you pay month after month or year after year? With the loss of the perpetual license model if the concern is future rental cost why not fix on the last perpetually licensed version.

I'm not sure what drove the question. I wasn't even in the office the day a manager asked at the design meeting. (which make no sense as I am the main AutoCAD user here. Wouldn’t you save the question until I’m in attendance?). We have a variety of other software for other aspects of what all we do here. I suppose the question was asked to inquire ‘why aren’t we using one of those?’ such as the Google Sketchup they had been using before they hired me to start the company using AutoCAD. Why didn’t they ask the owner who hired me to take AutoCAD out of the box and start using it here?

I wanted to post the question on here to see what others might think of if they ever had to defend their job of using AutoCAD vs something cheaper. These forums are a plethora of ‘out of the box’ thinkers and can help me create a large arsenal of defense for my job if I need it. And someone later may run into a similar situation and be able to utilize some of these ideas them self.

Hillary Wilmer
Architectural Engineer
Creative Works Inc.
Message 14 of 18
BeKirra

@hfort_az wrote:

It is being questioned at my work why we are using AutoCAD instead of Google Sketchup which is cheaper. I don't know how to answer this question. Does anyone have any advice or input on how to make a case to work in AutoCAD? 

We used sketchup once (for a project only) when starting to learn Inventor. Then our company decided to use Inventor. The reason was file compatibility/exchangeability with other parties.

This may also explains that many users are with AutoCAD.

If you work in architectural firm you may be better to use a 3d package i.e. Revit

BTW AutoCAD is one of the CAD softwares that highly customisable and programmable.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 15 of 18
owen66

Sketchup might be a learning curve, but if money is an issue you could look into BricsCAD

https://www.bricsys.com/en_EU/bricscad/compare/index.jsp

They have a section in that BricsCAD vs. AutoCAD on what limitations there are in BricsCAD (like "no Dynamic blocks" is a pretty big one), but if you're just doing simple 2D and are used to the ACAD interface, it might be worth a look.

"Aah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention...science has it all."
Message 16 of 18
serkancavuslar

http://blogs.autodesk.com/autocad/hitchhikers-guide-autocad-basics/

http://blogs.autodesk.com/autocad/author/heidihewett/

AutoDESK , AutoCAD and AutoLISP

Best, Easy, Fast, Design program.

Abaut

Not simple and  Development needs to be clear.

As you begin to learn, new ideas will follow each other.

Serkan ÇAVUŞLAR

İstanbul Türkiye

Serkan ÇAVUŞLAR
CplCAD / Türkiye
Tags (1)
Message 17 of 18
cstringer-ns

If your only 2D, need to produce printed drawings a contractor can use to build from and have most data exchange in dwg format AutoCAD seems like a good fit but, Have you looked into AutoCAD LT?  Its cheaper because it lacks many features you probably will never use.

Message 18 of 18
JoeHoffmayer

You've probably decided by now, but I saw the post and thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

My office shares CAD plans between architects, civil engineers, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, landscapers, contractors, manufacturers, and I'm the structural engineer.  Most of the clients use some form of AutoCAD.  The architects are most likely the ones who have attempted to migrate over to Revit, Archicad or Sketchup.  There are other 3D BIM programs, but I'm not seeing much else.  The common denominator is that all the work that comes off my desk is 2D plan and detail oriented information.  That, however, does not mean I think in 2D. I very often use 3D to get at a better solution.  I draw in 3D (especially steel shapes) and end up trying to build the structure of the building in 3D prior to pulling out "flat" views suitable for details, plans, and sections.  I've tried Revit and Sketchup...had them in my computer for years and gone through a few upgrades.  I personally just do not think like Revit or Sketchup want me to work.  I've been trained to think in AutoCAD.  And over the years, have developed a deeper knowledge of the inner workings of AutoCAD.  I can get started on any job, get right to business, and (getting to the point here) I develop future details, lisp routines, tools, etc. as I need them.

My point:  I've customized and tweaked AutoCAD over the years so much that it's become really productive for me. 

If you choose AutoCAD, you can grow into it, and in turn, it can grow with you.  It is very powerfull.  You really can do anything with the program.

It may also be possible to grow into it and develop Sketchup it into a real tool.  Do you have interest in working on/with Sketchup to make it part of your daily tools?  In the future, where do you see your self in your profession?  Which tool will best serve your personal growth.

I voted for AutoCAD because I'm an engineer and use it not only for drafting but as an engineering tool to think and develop with.

Perhaps you can use Sketchup to enhance your field.  I would say, however, that Architectural Engineering is as close to Structural Engineering as I can think, and if you use numbers more than design, AutoCAD would be the right choice.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report