Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtualization and AutoCAD

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
3212 Views, 8 Replies

Virtualization and AutoCAD

I am on the verge of buying 8 fairly high spec rack mount PC units that will be primarily used for running AutoCAD.  Before I do this I thought I should look into the possibility of buying only 1 very very high spec PC (possibly 2 if one was not feasible) and using virtualization to run 8 different servers.

I dont know a great deal about Virtulization and was hoping someone on here could offer some advice.  Is what I am talking about even possible?  If so, would I need to specify 8 x recommended RAM?  what Proccessor should I specify?  How do graphics cards work in virtualization?  do you need one per server?

I would be very greatful if somebody could offer some info on this, or at least point me in the right direction of some good resources.

many thanks,

Chris

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
TravisNave
in reply to: Anonymous
Message 3 of 9
larry42SUT
in reply to: TravisNave

Why is it only supported with Citrix?

What about VMware? Hyper-V, Terminal Services, etc???

I can take a thin client without a hard drive and run 4 CAD sessions at the same time. It's called Jentu, http://jentu-networks.com/ or check them out on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/JentuNetworks

Message 4 of 9
TravisNave
in reply to: larry42SUT

Autodesk has a partnership with Citrix. The other methods are not
supported. Any other methods to run the software from a server over the
network is a violation of the license agreement. If you were to be
audited, Autodesk would not be pleased about you running their software on
a thin client in this fashion. And the definitely audit. Might rethink
your suggestion there in an open forum. FYI.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 9
TravisNave

If you'd like, I can have the admin remove your post.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 6 of 9
larry42SUT

No thanks. I do not want the post removed and I stand by my comments. I've testing with more resource intensive applications and the results were amazing. I said that "I can" and if they audit me then they will find nothing because it is a concept.

The base image is streamed from the server and is a bare metal on a diskless desktop/laptop. I would think that if this was possible then AutoCAD would just jump all over it. They have partnerships with multiple hardware vendors. Are the CEO's friends and try to lock down this market? What type of internal agreements do you have in place?

I could sell 1000's of licenses in a flash. I can strictly follow license agreements if CAD if you will let me. Imagine the possibilities if you can create a better experience for the users and deliver lightening fast response with infinite processing / rendering capabilities.

I have two clients that are willing to give it a try. I also noticed that Jentu was approved for use in government installations. You should check it out and get your Dev people to certify the product so I can afford to buy it and sell it as an MSP offering. The CAD Private Cloud, it's catchy.

larry@quantus.biz

larry@subpico.com

Message 7 of 9
dyoung

I thought Autodesk loosened their licensing terms with regard to virtualization. 

Even if they haven't they'll likely look the other way or kindly grant an exception given the following....

Every year they have presentations on "Virtualization" at AU. Not all are Citrix based. 

Companies like Advance 2000 have been doing this for several years with Autodesk's full knowledge. In fact, I believe some of A2K's staff use to work for Autodesk.

Autodesk has a virtualization partner (http://www.imscadglobal.com/virtualisation-CAD.php) and many of the solutions they offer are NOT Citrix based.

Darren J. Young
Director of Operations Technology
Hermanson Company LLP
1221 2nd Avenue North
Kent, Washington 98032
http://www.hermanson.com
Message 8 of 9
TravisNave
in reply to: dyoung

Autodesk has loosened on Virtualization. But what they haven't budged on
is thin client distribution from a server -- especially on stand-alone
licensing. That will get you fined in an audit.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 9 of 9
dyoung

Perhaps I missed the stand alone part....yes, I wouldn't touch stand alone & virtualization. Network licensing is the only way to go as you need to be able to control access and ensure no more than the max authorized users are running.

Darren Young | Director of Operating Technology

Hermanson Company, LLP | 1221 2nd Avenue North, Kent, WA 98032

Direct 253-893-1839 | Cell 206-755-0250 | Office 206-575-9700

www.hermanson.com
Darren J. Young
Director of Operations Technology
Hermanson Company LLP
1221 2nd Avenue North
Kent, Washington 98032
http://www.hermanson.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report