Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20
plleras2211
2617 Views, 19 Replies

North Symbol

Hi there

I wanted to ask,can this symbol of a  North plan be use on a project with out having a other north symbol on the drawing? Is practicable if i only have one north symbol on a project rite?

can someone help me with this

thanks

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
pkolarik
in reply to: plleras2211

Are you asking if it's okay to have only that style of north arrow? Or if it's okay to only have a north arrow appear on one sheet of a drawing set?

If it's the latter, we always put a north arrow on every plan view sheet in a project set. There's always the chance that north isn't "up" on various sheets, so placing a north arrow on every plan sheet makes it clear which way is north every time.

Message 3 of 20
plleras2211
in reply to: pkolarik

No i am asking if is ok to have only one north symbol. We tend to put two north symbols on the plans...the one i attached and other one we put above the sheet. I think that is practicable to have only one not two.

Message 4 of 20
JasonArtley

Having one symbol for a north arrow is preferred! You want it to be easy to identify on all sheets. 

Message 5 of 20
jggerth1

Well, depending on _which_ North you are dealing with,,,,  Grid, plan geographic(true), or magnetic.

But as a rule, I would only expect to see one north arrow on a plan sheet, unless there are enlarged drawings on that sheet that have different orientation. 

I would also not expect to see it as part of the drawing title...

Message 6 of 20
plleras2211
in reply to: jggerth1

Is there a rule for that? Only to have one north arrow on a plan sheet?

Message 7 of 20
JasonArtley

Well multiple north arrows are preferred if you have multiple views on a sheet. Normally it's one view per sheet, and therefore one north arrow per sheet. I've never seen multiples arrows for true north, geodetic north, etc. They are usually assumed to be rough guides to orient whomever is viewing the plans. 

Message 8 of 20
plleras2211
in reply to: JasonArtley

The thing is that we are a firm that works a lot with azimuth angles. I wanted to use a plan north symbol that marks the true north....because we tend to rotate buildings on the sheets. That way the building will be parallel to the sheet. Adding a azimuth angle to the symbol can be confusing.

You can open the attach file so you can have a better view of what i trying to say.

I will like to have all on one symbol...but adding the azimuth angle on the plan north symbol can confuse my clients. So what we are doing is letting the azimuth angle on the north symbol above and marking the true north on the bellow symbol.

Message 9 of 20
plleras2211

Do you think this can be a good practice or if you have any better ideas to workout with this issue.
Message 10 of 20
jggerth1

My first question I guess is what are you basing the coordinate system on? You call out Northings and Eastings along with Lat-Long, but I don't see anything to tell me the basis of those coordinates.

Typically, when I have to show two norths (grid and magnetic) I'll use one symbol, and label the magnetic north, and leave my grid as is. If it's rotated on the plan view, that's fine,  My work is done in model space, where the grid is vertical and building skewed, but the plan on the layour shows the building oriented to the view. 

Message 11 of 20
jggerth1

Here's an example of a dual north arrow,  The RED is grid north, (and in this case, the facility is slightly skewed to the grid, but would be shown on the sheet as normal to the drawing borders. The YELLOW arrow points to magnetic north and indicates how far off grid and magnetic north are at this location.  (of course the magnetic pole wanders around a  a bit, so it's not taken to a high precision, and may not be even loosely correct in a couple of years)

magnorth.PNG

Message 12 of 20
plleras2211

Doesn't help me a lot with my issue. The big question is...can i have two north symbol on a sheet? One that tells me the true north and other that marks me the azimuth angel?

For me is not practicable but upper management is asking me for this....is there a rule for not having two north symbols on a plan sheet.

At my country some are not to quite related to the north symbol and his tree different arrows on the same symbol.

Message 13 of 20
pkolarik

The simplest answer is "Yes, you can have two north arrows on a plan view". The architects in our office do so from time to time. They'll have a "North" and "True North" symbol on the drawing.

They're the only discipline in our office that does this;  our civil/surveyors never have more than one north arrow on a drawing. It's always pointing north.

Message 14 of 20
plleras2211
in reply to: pkolarik

So to close this case...there is no rules that states.... not having two north arrows on a plan sheet then.

Message 15 of 20
gotphish001

I use this rather than some fancy arrows. It's clear  at a glance Capture.PNGand not confusing for people reading plans.

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 16 of 20
CB_Mag7
in reply to: gotphish001

Clear as what?

Sorry but I have no idea what that means....

Message 17 of 20
morrolan
in reply to: CB_Mag7

It's not all that clear, as nothing tells me _which_ north the grey arrow refers to.  Magenetic?  Grid?  Geographic?  Astronomic?

Message 18 of 20
pendean
in reply to: morrolan

What industry as you in exactly?
Message 19 of 20
BeKirra

@plleras2211 wrote:

Doesn't help me a lot with my issue. The big question is...can i have two north symbol on a sheet? One that tells me the true north and other that marks me the azimuth angel?

For me is not practicable but upper management is asking me for this....is there a rule for not having two north symbols on a plan sheet.

At my country some are not to quite related to the north symbol and his tree different arrows on the same symbol.

It sounds like a standardise issue.

IMO below is a basic rule:

1) One north symbol only on your projects - I suggest you setup your company standard.

It allows readers concentrate on drawing details.

2) Follow consultant firm's rule, if you work for them.

HTH

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 20 of 20

Do you have this as a symbol you can share? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report