Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IFC Joining/Combining... is it possible?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ArniVidar
6051 Views, 7 Replies

IFC Joining/Combining... is it possible?

Well, the Subject says it all really.

I have several IFC files, output from AutoCAD, Revit and Tekla, all for the same project.
Do you guys know if there are any ways to combine these files into one functional IFC file?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: ArniVidar

great topic. i am interetsed to hear what other say, or what you.
tekla doesn't know rvt files. revit doesn't know tekla or smart dwg objects. so i think you need to export from acad and tekla first to ifc, then open them in revit and merge or link the projects together.

i have certain assumptions:
autocad means autocad architecture or mep, right?
the files from each different software will cover a different trade or discipline, such as structural tekla, architecture from , mep from . Mixing doors from autcad arch and revit in one file is a lot more difficult.
remember that only smart objects import/export to ifc, meaning ducts, walls, doors. simple lines are left behind. (or these are my simple attempts using it).
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

what are you trying to achieve at the end of the day.

Solibri will can import multiple IFC files from multiple sources to form a consolidated model for checking / analysing purposes

www.solibri.com
Message 4 of 8

Bumping here.

I've been looking hard for a way to do this without finding a satisfaying solution. 

A combined IFC file would make it possible to view models on Ipad with a360 or Tekla 3d field for example. 

There are no apps that can manage solibri file or tekla bimsight file.

Ive been trying to combine IFC files in Revit and wxporting them as one IFC but the IFC files lose important data, and increase heavily in size...

In other words they dont work very well.

Any tip?

Message 5 of 8

Post in the REVIT forum while you wait for a year 2010 response https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit/ct-p/2003
Message 6 of 8
ArniVidar
in reply to: pendean

Well, this is not a Revit issue, and as such I'd say it doesn't belong in the Revit forum 🙂

Message 7 of 8
filipefrancisco

Did you try to import all files to revit and then export all as one IFC file? that don't work for want you to do ? That all one ideia

Cheers

Filipe Francisco
Comunidade Autodesk - Português - Colaborador
Autodesk Certified Instructor | AutoCAD Certified | Revit Architecture Certified | Autodesk Expert Elite

YOUTUBE | LINKEDIN

Se a resposta resolveu o seu problema, clique em Aceitar como Solução isso ajuda os outros usuários a encontrar rapidamente uma resposta e Curta se gostou.

If the answer solved your problem, click Accept as Solution. This helps other users to quickly find an answer. And hit Like if you do.

Autodesk Community

Message 8 of 8
ArniVidar
in reply to: filipefrancisco

Alas, Revit is not designed to do that. The resulting IFC's would be stripped of much of the BIM information, and the rest garbled and untrustworthy.

Revit really is a rubbish program when it comes to IFC's, since Autodesk do not believe in collaboration outside their own software ecosystem 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report