Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best machine for AutoCAD 2D

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
1512 Views, 11 Replies

Best machine for AutoCAD 2D

Hello,

The purpose of this discussion is to try to find what is the best machine for AutoCAD 2D. It is not a competition whose machine is better, rather: to find what is the best hardware and software to make AutoCAD fly.

Any comments very much appreciated. If I can edit this original post based on feed back I will do so to keep the best configuration at the top.

CPU

I think the best option is the smallest number of cores/threads and the highest frequency. i7 4 cores 3.4GHz is the best I could find. This CPU can go up to 4 GHz but it seems that this function is automatically controlled by the CPU and cannot be manually set to 4 GHz. The Turbo can be enabled (allow it to go up to 4 GHz based on temperature = work load) or disabled (stick to 3.4 GHz).

RAM

I think that 4 memory banks can end up the best option where each CPU core talks to one memory bank. I know the memory management unit (hardware) compounded with Windows paging work differently to this, but the idea is to have the least number of cores fighting over the most number of banks. Obviously all 4 banks should be the same (and maximum) available size and highest clock frequency. DDR4 is the best available for RAM at the moment and DDR5 at the graphics card.

Storage

Goes without saying probaly NVMs are many times better than SSDs. I believe one day we will get a new generation of MMUs (Memory Management Units) thay is based on the new hardware concepts not on legacy/archaic architectures.

Mother Board

The best MB with on-board Intel HD Graphics matching with the i7. They have 2 monitor outputs.

Graphics Card

None. Use the on-board only and disable Graphics Acceleration in AutoCAD. Your system will Fly. Tried the most expensive Quadros and GFXs and have found little difference in 2D work. It is possible that 2 cards: one Tesla to do the calculations and one Quadro for the output will take AutoCAD to the next level. If you have any such experience please share. Some people claim that Quadro hwarware = Telsta harware = GFX hardware but NVIDIA makes the difference by internally enabling/disbaling stuff to sell more graphics cards, but i can't see how going from 1 to None is any move in this direction.

BIOS

Disabling multi-threading for the CPU will have a negative effect as Windows is essentially multi-threading and has hundreds of (mostly useless) services running all the time.

OS

I think Windows 7 64-bits with all the updates is the best platform.

Choose Optimise for Best Performance and tick only the boxes you really don't want to sacrifice.

Services

Antivirus, Drop Box, One Drive, Mail etc. any app running and constantly using resources should be closed. Pause Synching. Close Mail and reopen every hour or so.

AutoCAD version

I don't really thing there is any difference between the various versions of AutoCAD. The engine is practically the same I guess, there are simply more and more tweaks in each new version. Even old versions that did not support tabs can become useful with one lisp or two.

The main trick is inside AutoCAD, need to lookup all variables that allow AutoCAD to relax drawing accuracy.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
RobDraw
in reply to: Anonymous

Sounds a bit like overkill for 2D. I'm sure you could get by with much less with no noticeable effect on performance.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 3 of 12
pendean

Good points but there is no such thing as a "Best machine for AutoCAD 2D".

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I would like to narrow it down since 2D seems to be very wide scope.

The target is to have the fastest machine for the following task:

1. Receive up to 20 floor plans from the Architect

2. "Clean" them for use by building services

3. Each floor will become a block.

4. Services works become blocks.

5. Blocks are clipped and duplicated in the model view.

6. Title blocks and everything is in the model view.

7. The layout tabs are just one signle rectangular viewport set to correct paper size and plot style and each layout zooming on its own drawing in the model space. 

8. Layouts are batch plotted.

Hick-ups targetting to reduce

In the Model space, AutoCAD stutters when snapping onto objects. The reasons being:

1. OSNAP is ON and the Arch plans have dense hatches etc. 

2. AutoCAD regenerting everything after every move.

3. Right click and Edit block in place is not instantaneous.

4. If more than one version of the drawing is open, say one in each tab, AutoCAD suffers (maybe has to do with same objects being sotred in same location in memory, i.e. the drawings are not sandboxed by AutoCAD?)

5. Switching from one layout to another takes time.

One measure of speed is when batch plotting to PDF, how fast it can churn sheets.

High specs are not 'required' for this work and things listed can be considered as 'overkill', but it pays for it self in time saving.

Message 5 of 12
RobDraw

So, what benchmarks are you using for comparison. What you are saying isn't anything more than opinion without real data.

The machine you are describing would be fully capable of driving 3D software and is far better than a lot of workstations out there that are performing quite well.

Where are the comparisons?

Rob

Message 6 of 12
pendean

Your first 1-8 lit is all about workflow and work efficiency: hardware and OS settings offer little to no relief if the workflows are not pre-defined and established.

As for the cursor hiccups over dense hatching, set Osoptions variable to 2, turn off selectionpreview always and tap F3 key to toggle off running osnaps if needed.

And for AutoCAD regenerting everything after every move: I assume you mean a hatch move, see above about selection preview.

For Right click and Edit block in place is not instantaneous: may be related to the above settings not set thet way I noted if you are doing this over a hatch.

AND... If more than one version of the drawing is open: why would you do that with one and the same drawing file? Or did you mean something else?

THEN... One measure of speed is when batch plotting to PDF, how fast it can churn sheets: turn off background publishing is all most of us have to do.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your insight. OSOPTIONS is a great tip, any additional tips like that to help speed up the drawing or redraw? This is what I'm really after.

What about speeding up AutoCAD when you move from one layout to another?

Regarding the below:

For Workflow: please refer to the attached screenshot. I could not attach the DWG some people won't be happy. How it works is very easy. On the right hand side is where the work is done, the left hand side is only a mirror. For example, take the top most floor Level 5: it is the cleaned version of the Architect's plan, inserted into this all-in-one drawing-model, and made as a block. Then services are drawn over. If the plan fits one one drawing, then a title block comes to wrap it. If it needs to span on more than one drawing, then:

1. The services are grouped in a block of their own.

2. The required number of layouts is created on the left hand side (here 2)

3. Both the base plan and the services block are copied (twice), one time for each layout, and CLIPped.

4. Any work continue to be done on the right hand side: right click and edit the services or the base plan block and it will mirror on the left hand side.

In the attachment, the upper floors are simple and can have all the services on one drawing. For the basements and GF: ceiling services are drawn on one set (of 2 drawings) and floor services on another set, but the concept is the same.

I know XREF exists but the bunch here adhere to the above workflow.

AutoCAD/OS/Machine must be very fast acceptin right-click Edit in place.

For Regeneration: I'm not really sure what is being regenerated. I give two examples:

1. See in Excel you can switch Calculations to Manual, so the sheet/workboot doesn't update every time. This speeds up VBA scripts, as below:

Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Application.DisplayStatusBar = False

Application.EnableEvents = False

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

(you then enable them at the end of the script)

2. In Windows you have the option to Show Windows Content while dragging? this slows down (a bit) the system.

I think AutoCAD, as they advance in version, start(ed) to put it similar stuff that improves the user's visual experience. I'm more than happy to turn everything off and do a regen at will.

For Multiple versions: The grey file with all the layouts and background plans is setup for all services. If I need to open say Electrical and Mechanical at the same time, two different drawings but have in them blocks of the same name, I notice this can take a toll on AutoCAD. 

Message 8 of 12
RobDraw

I see why you are struggling with performance. Your workflow could really use some refinement and if you cannot even use XREfs, you will probably continue to have performance issues.

Rob

Message 9 of 12
pendean

I agree with above: you have a few workflow issues hat stop you from being more productive.

>>>...What about speeding up AutoCAD when you move from one layout to another?...<<<
Goes back to your workflows and unusual limitations.

Your posted image is a nightmare for the rest of us in most AutoCAD offices: there is no true hardware fix for these bad ideas and habits.

Time for you to be the catalyst for change at your office.
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks for your comments, I totally disagree with your approach. I don't follow the approach of take AutoCAD the way it is and work with it, if it cannot draw a single line, lisp a set of dots to make them happy.

You may be right in a way: "Yalli bighayyir 3odto bet2ell s3odtto".

Enough of Autodesk being lazy. We have machines boundering the laws of physics. Autodesk to step up their game, just watch this at 14:34 and beyond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmuS4bUwerc

I have gathered the below from several posts, it did make a noticeable difference for me:

STEP 1.M A N D A T O R Y

In Windows:

1. Right-Click desktop, select Personalize, scroll down and select the Basic theme.
  2. Go to System Properties -> Advanced -> Click Settings in Performance group -> Select Adjust for best Performance. Keep: Smooth edges of screen fonts and Use visual styles on windows and buttons.
  3. Sign out from Autodesk 360.
  4. Control Panel -> Advanced System Settings -> Remote tab: disable all that is remote assistance.
  5. Run MSCONFIG and select Services tab, remove useless startups.
  6. Delete *.log and *.bak.

Step  2.

From the Command Line, type: ABOUT

Make sure you have the latest AutoCAD service pack.

Step  3.

Right Click AutoCAD icon

Go to Properties and click in Shortcut

Append the command with: /nologo

Step  4.

Go to task manager

Click in details

Select acad.exe

Click on Set Priority

Select Realtime

Close Task Manager

Step  5.

GRAPHICSCONFIG

Turn ON hardware acceleration

Step  6.

Exit out of AutoCAD.

Hit WINDOWS-R on the keyboard to bring up the Run window, enter REGEDIT and click OK.

Navigate to and select the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\Rxx.x\ACAD-xxxx:40x\InfoCenter

This path is unique for each version of AutoCAD. You can see which 'ACAD-xxxx' refers to by selecting it and then looking at the keys on the right side of the Registry Editor. One of the keys will show the install path to the AutoCAD it applies to. The '40x' number signifies the language version of AutoCAD.

On the right side of the Registry Editor window, double-click "InfoCenterOn" and change the value to 0 (zero).

Step  7.

Set DYNMODE to 0 (default 3).

Set SELECTIONPREVIEW to 0.

Set VIEWRES to Yes (fast zoom) and value 500 (default 1000).

Set HPQUICKPREVIEW to OFF (default ON).

Set SNAP to OFF.

Set OSOPTIONS to 2.

Set SIGWARN to 0 (default 1).

Set QPMODE to 0 (default -1).

Set SHADEMODE to 2 (in model, in viewport and in layout)

Set STARTUP to 1 (default 3).

Set FILLMODE to 0 (default 1, you need to set this back to 1 as soon as you need to do a hatch).

Set QTEXT to ON (default OFF, must be really desperate though)

Use SIMPLEX.SHX font.

If you use commands only, press CTRL+0 (it cycles)

Step  8.

Type: (strlen (getenv "ACAD"))

Type: OP

If the value returned for ACAD is greater then 800, delete unnecessary entries in the Files tab.

In Selection tab: untick Selection previews.

In Plot and Publish -> Plot Stamp Settings -> Advanced: untick the create a log file.

In Systems: disable online help in Help and disable Automatically check for certification update.

Step  9.

If you are using sound from your monitor(s), then keep/use the NVIDIA Audio driver. But if Audio is coming out from the jack on the mother board, then uninstall nView and the Audio Driver.

Message 11 of 12
RobDraw

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your comments, I totally disagree with your approach. I don't follow the approach of take AutoCAD the way it is and work with it, if it cannot draw a single line, lisp a set of dots to make them happy.

I think the point is that you need to make your tools work for you instead of letting them make you work harder than you should. Your current workflow could actually be the cause of your concerns about performance on high end machines and needing to do numerous performance tweaks. At a minimum, a different approach would make your drawing environment much more user friendly thus increasing productivity and ideally could eliminate all your performance issues.

Rob

Message 12 of 12
pendean

You are just needlessly fighting the program. But that is your choice, it what makes AutoCAD such a great program, you can tailor it to work as hard or as easy as you think you are.

Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report