Community
BIM 360 Team Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s BIM 360 Team Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular BIM 360 Team topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't an open project have contributors?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
robincapperw
452 Views, 3 Replies

Why can't an open project have contributors?

Why can't an "Open" project have contributors?

Often our projects start out as secret, become closed (when announced to wider business) but can never be "Open" as you kick out contributors with that change. I don't understand the logic.

Robin
Autodesk AEC Collection 2020 - PC: HP Z6 | Win 10 64 | Xeon 3014 | 64 GB ram | Quadro P5000 - Tablet: Surface 3 Pro i5-4300u | Win 10 Ent 1703 64 | 8GB ram - Phone: Samsung S21 Ultra | Android 11
RobiNZ CAD Blog | LinkedIn
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi Robin,

Project Contributors are typically 'external' users e.g. contractors/sub-contractors who work on projects but don't have the ability to create new projects or be promoted to an Admin of a project. Contributors can only see projects that they are explicitly invited to, they cannot discover other projects that are part of the hub unless they are invited. This is the main idea behind separating Members (internal) versus Contributors (external users).

An Open project provides a way for 'Members' to automatically join the project without requiring Admin approval. Open Projects would typically have content that you don't mind sharing with all the members in your hub but don't want to go through the overhead of an Admin approving each time someone in your company wants to join that project.

You can think of an Open project as a Closed Project with AutoJoin option turned ON. Infact, we are thinking about changing this in future so that there is less confusion between Open and Closed projects. There would only be Closed Projects with AutoJoin option turned ON/OFF.

Hope this helps, let me know what you think.

thanks.

Rahul Bhandarkar
Sr. Product Manager - A360

rahul.bhandarkar@autodesk.com
Message 3 of 4

If "Closed Projects with AutoJoin option turned ON." still allowed contributors I can see that working. There are projects where I would like the team to auto join (internal users) but would need contributors enabled for external users/consultants

Thanks,

Robin Capper.

Robin
Autodesk AEC Collection 2020 - PC: HP Z6 | Win 10 64 | Xeon 3014 | 64 GB ram | Quadro P5000 - Tablet: Surface 3 Pro i5-4300u | Win 10 Ent 1703 64 | 8GB ram - Phone: Samsung S21 Ultra | Android 11
RobiNZ CAD Blog | LinkedIn
Message 4 of 4
routman
in reply to: robincapperw

I concur... I am running into that situation now. I would like my Team Members to be able to see/join Open projects, but also need outside Project Contributors to be able to access those projects.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report