Community
BIM 360 Team Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s BIM 360 Team Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular BIM 360 Team topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happend to markups?

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
jarrodpirtle
835 Views, 19 Replies

What happend to markups?

I was just about to add a markup to an RVT on BIM 360 Team (We just switched from A360 today) and the markup feature is gone. What gives? Was this a result of switching to BIM 360?

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
jarrodpirtle
in reply to: jarrodpirtle

The markup tool just doesn't appear until the model has completely loaded. We have rather large models which tend to bog down Chrome (and often crash it) so you have to wait. It's just odd that the rest of the tools are there the whole time, while the markup button only appears at the end. Weird. 

Message 3 of 20
BrettWright

Hi Jarrod, 

That is odd, i'll forward this on to our dev team to review and see if there is any reasoning for that to occur.

Have you tested other files and seen the same result as well, or just on the one model?

Let me know,

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
Message 4 of 20
jarrodpirtle
in reply to: BrettWright

Other models do appear to load the markup tools last, but it's not very noticeable because they load so quickly. 

Message 5 of 20
BrettWright

Hi Jarrod,

so that we can test this on our end, would you please send me one of your files via public downloadable link?

Send to first.last@autodesk.com (brett.wright)

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
Message 6 of 20
BrettWright

Hi Jarrod,

ok, here is what i found out for you 🙂

• Yes, based on how 360 is designed, the markup functionality will not show up until the model is fully loaded.
  • Our question would be that since the tools aren't functional until the model is fully loaded anyway, is there an issue with it loading this way, at the end? (is this impacting your work somehow?)

Please let me know if you're seeing something that we're not from our end where this is a bad way for the functionality to load.

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
Message 7 of 20
jarrodpirtle

No, it makes sense for it to function this way. I just didn't realize this was what was happening until after I created the first post. Then once I realized what was happening I added the follow-up. 

My issue is that my MEP models are so heavy that stuff like this tends to happen. Architectural models of similar file size never seem to give me any problems. But this is obviously a different issue.

Message 8 of 20
BrettWright

Thanks for the follow up Jarrod,

Let us know if you have any other questions / issues.

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
Message 9 of 20
robert.spink

I'm having a similar problem,

I have shared the link, and they are not getting the mark up tools, comments tools or some of the navigation tools to the left.

is this normal?

Message 10 of 20
BrettWright
in reply to: robert.spink

Hi Robert, 

Thanks for sending in your question.

When you share a public link, the comment and markup functionality aren't available since any member using that link isn't logged into A360.

It's always been like that, so if you do need your member to be able to have markup and comment functionality, then you'll want to invite them into the project vs just sharing the public link with them.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
Message 11 of 20
prathap.reddy

@BrettWright Thanks for reminding me about this.

After reading the thread completely I can sense the problem in markup interaction. That is, Markup is not appearing till the design is loaded. We are in discussions with Interaction team to improve the experience of Markup loading for coming release. But I am afraid, even if we show markup before it's unusable like any other tools till design is loaded. This interaction has become a big problem because recent observations of Revit files suffering from performance issues. We are solving that issue for coming release.

Next, regarding markup in Public share, We are moving towards enabling collaboration feature for public share. Coming release will have markup enabled. And users can download screenshot as an image after markup is done.

To conclude, the next release will be a first step progressing towards fixing problems discussed.
Message 12 of 20
BrettWright
in reply to: prathap.reddy

Awesome news Prathap,

Our customers will be very excited to see this come to fruition over time and it will really help the markup/commenting functionality be more seamless of an experience.

Keep us all posted on the progress.

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
Message 13 of 20
LanaGAEC

I've read through the whole post and I still do not have mark-ups.

1. The project has completely loaded, it's a very small Revit project.

2. The project is closed

3. I am the administrator

4. None of my models have mark-up capabilities.

I've attached an image of my BIM 360 Team and what the video shows should be available.

Message 14 of 20
BrettWright
in reply to: LanaGAEC

Hi Lana, that is odd, these are RVT models correct?

• Can you share a couple of your models via  public downloadable link with us so that we can review as well? (send private message)
  • Also have you tried to Re-Upload them at all just to see if the first attempt didn't fully load properly for some reason?
  • Are you using Chrome as a browser by chance, or can you try other browsers to see if there is any difference? (shouldn't be)

Let me know, and yes, you should be seeing the markup icon in the toolbar as below.

markup3.png

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
Message 15 of 20
LanaGAEC

Hello,

I've been going through our jobs - there is no rhyme or reason if I get the markup or not. I opened an .nwd that was owned by someone else - there the markup is. I open an .nwd owned by me it's not there. Open another .nwd owned by me it's there. The same thing with. RVT's. How old the file is seems to have nothing to do if the markup is visible. Right now about 20% of the files have the markup. I am the administrator for BIM 360. Running out of place to troubleshoot. 

The image (file) I shared - I tired reloading and it still did not have the markup. Yes, that is a very small .rvt. 

I've opened BIM 360 Team in Chrome, IE, and FireFox, they all behaved in the same fashion.

I'll see if I can find a project that is not NDA to share the link privately. 

Message 16 of 20
BrettWright

hi Lana, we're looking into these now,

I did a quick test myself reloading them into my hub just to see if a "retranslation" might help, but no luck, I'm seeing the same behavior here.

Stay tuned, i'll get back to you once i hear back from the team.

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
Message 17 of 20
BrettWright

Hi Lana, quick update, sorry for the delay here.

• This is a bug on our end.
  • The team is still working on analyzing the next steps.
  • I'll be back in touch when i know what the plan is as well if there is a workaround for you to leverage.

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
Message 18 of 20
BrettWright

Hi Lana,

I heard back from the team, and the below might help you better understand what is causing the issue in your current file(s).

Please let us know if this helps.

The exact error is that there is an invalid, invisible character in the property names prefixed with: JCPhase_

All those properties are:

• JCPhase_Finish
  • JCPhase_Form
  • JCPhase_Place
  • JCPhase_Float

We believe a possible workaround would be for those properties to be either removed or renamed from the seed file, and then re-upload the file.

There might be a –unit separator (char code 31) symbol which is messing things up.

Note: There might be other properties with this issue. This one is the one I could find given the experienced error.

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
Message 19 of 20
LanaGAEC

Thank you for the feedback. 

While that might be causing some of issues, it doesn't explain the random nature of it working or not since all the files were created with our standard template that contains those parameters.

Message 20 of 20
BrettWright

Hi Lana, 

• Not sure on that one yet Lana, as the team digs in more on this, hopefully they'll be able to answer that question for you.
  • Keep me posted on if the suggestion works for the files where the Markup icon isn't showing up, as well if it makes any difference in the ones where the markup icon already shows up.

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report