Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nested Linked Revit Models do not display when model is published to BIM 360

Nested Linked Revit Models do not display when model is published to BIM 360

In a Revit Model Collaborated in Cloud (Model A), if you manage links and link to another Revit Model (Model B) set as attachment, then you link "Model A" into another model (Model C) you will see both Model A and the nested linked "Model B"  in Model C as you would expect.  This is called nesting links and is not a new Revit concept.  All is well from a Revit Standpoint, however, if you publish "Model C" to BIM 360 with 3D views and sheets.  You only see what is in Model C on the sheets and in the 3D Views, nothing from the nested links is visible once so ever in the BIM 360 Model Viewer.  This is a considerable loss of function from the software.  The workaround I am using is to Link "Model B" directly into "Model C" on a Workset that you toggle on to publish only.  This is an industry standard workflow (nested links) and BIM 360 publishing should support this functionality.  I hope this feature/function gets addressed in the product soon.

20 Comments
JeremyB
Explorer

We are having loads of issues with this currently. First layer of nesting is coming through but second layer is invisible in B360. Our workflow which has worked well in the past for Multi Residential Blocks has been to have apartment files linked to building files as attachments, then on and into a Master Documentation File. 

Would be interested to know of any workarounds other than grouping?

fadi_mounayerji
Explorer

I could have given up on the whole BIM360 platform because of this lack of support for nested links.

newinhtun
Participant

This is a big problem. We can't direct link a lot of models to one main model. Doesn't work that way also.

Must improve on this very quickly.

thwethwesoe
Participant

Due to absent function of supporting nested links, we have to increase additional workflow for published models to BIM 360.

Publishing of nested links is critical to our workflow as well. We have a multi-building university campus model in Revit which requires this setup. 

Any updates as to when this will be supported?

David_A_Vinoly
Explorer

Autodesk Teams,

WE NEED A REPATH SCRIPT ADDED SOMEWHERE (MULTI-FILE SELECTION) IN ORDER TO DEFINE FILE LOCATION AFTER SHARE FOLDER HAS BEEN UPDATED... My team has just realized that our linked files are pointing to the live folder and not using a "RELATIVE" pathing approach. If it did, it would NOT read from the "LIVE" folders. It would read directly from the "CURRENT" file closest in proximity. RIGHT? We NEED to make sure the files are linking to "OUR PUBLISHED SHARE FOLDER". I specifically chose the "Share" folder method to ensure a synchronized and safe approach.

Thank you,

David Anderson
BIM Manager

David_A_Vinoly
Explorer

Team BIMinators,

I guess the workaround for this lack of functionality in Revit/BIM 360 is to begin to open the file in Revit:

1) saveas - to Local drive. (I hope this only needs to happen to the "CONTAINER/PARENT" files)

2) Collaborate in Cloud. (Because the Current Published file is not accessible in the "Share" folder due to it being a copy and not a "Processed" file. REALLY SUCKY GUYS!" Oh and now, you will have to erase the published file due to same name. It will not prompt to over write. (For my test I will rename it.) This is to see if I will be able to at least access the file to re-path the nested links.

3) Manage Links - re-path links to "Shared" folder. (Noticed that "Path Type" is "Cloud" If this could be set to "Relative" that may solve this conundrum.)

4) Sync file and relinquish ALL.

5) Verify that the link to the "LIVE" folder is not being referenced by the Teams using the "Share" linking.

Note: This method will have to be done as the bulk of the "Publish to Share" is being processed. You will have to replace the "CONTAINER/PARENT" file right after your publish. If you choose NOT to add the "CURRENTLY PATHED" file to the package it may not be recorded as part of the publishing at the date specified. So, It may be best to build in a bit of a time buffer after the "Share" folder has been updated to accommodate the file processing needed to rectify the pathing.

In closing, we now have to "Manage" the "Container/Parent" Files. Which now increases time spent while posting/publishing updates. NOT FUN. This is made even harder by the "REMOTE" state of accessibility. We love you Autodesk Team, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO US! WE NEED YOU!

JUST PROVIDING A BIT OF PERSPECTIVE.

Autodesk Team, IF THERE IS ANOTHER WAY TO GET THIS DONE... Please provide us with your solution.

Thank you,

David Anderson

BIM Manager

amit.mSESPG
Explorer
this IDEA must be condired quikly by autodesk team. IT is very Crucial in order to really collaborate throughout BIM360.
Rockit_for_Revit
Advocate

The Attached links are still pathed to the originators folder and not updated to the Consumed folder.

We found that ‘View’ rights were not sufficient to pull the nested link from the originators folder. ‘View + Download + Upload + Edit’ rights were needed before Revit was able to get the attached nested link.

We hope that Autodesk removes this limitation soon.

sejohnsonphd45
Contributor

I completely agree that this is needed.  Whether you need to link in a site/campus model that has other buildings placed on the site, or whether you're an engineer who needs to link in an architectural model with nested apartment unit models or commercial tenant fit-out models, nested links are pretty standard parts of workflows.

yliVDB2D
Explorer

This issue should definitely be solved soon by Autodesk.

From Autodesk, in order to address this issue is below in blue:

Causes:

BIM 360 Docs Model Viewer does not currently support nested links in a host model in a linking hierarchy structure like this:

• Central model (Host)
    • Link A (Linked in Host)
      • Link B (nested in Link A)
      • Link C (nested in Link A)

In this example, Link B and Link C are nested links and do not appear in BIM 360.
Note: This happens regardless of the link reference type; Overlay or Attachment.

Solution:

Follow this strategy to workaround the current limitation described above:

1. Reload all nested links and attach them to the main host file.
  2. Publish the host model again to BIM 360, but this time with a flat linking hierarchy as follows:
  • Central model (Host)
    • Link A (Linked directly in Host)
    • Link B (Linked directly in Host)
    • Link C (Linked directly in Host)

The issue with linking the nested model (B and C) into host is that if that nested model (B or C) is deleted or got moved in the linked main model A, the host would not reflected with this change.

@David_A_Vinoly 's method #1 would be the best solution so far.

arkadis.ec
Community Visitor

Autodesk needs to fix this. Here is a practice using this workflow:

• Central model (Host)
    • Link A (Linked directly in Host)
    • Link B (Linked directly in Host)
    • Link C (Linked directly in Host)

It takes soo long to download all the links from each model and then share, consume each discipline and finally to see this error. We need to optimize workflow and, fix Revit Models do not display in BIM 360

arkadisec_0-1631343214410.png

ECerilli
Explorer

Agreed, this is a major issue that completely defeats the point of using Collaborate Pro. We should not have to adjust the permissions of our Team's folder with the links in it for the consultant to see these units, the central model in the consumed folder must contain the links in the consumed folder as well. The solution offered by Autodesk is not sufficient and does not solve the problem. 

UPVOTE!

roman.golev
Participant

Furthermore, there is no fast way to change nested links hierarchy to flat. You cannot add more than one link without using API (works for Revit 2021+) now. So, whenever you have a model tree in which each object on the site has at least 5 nested links for each discipline/system it becomes a pain.

2021-12-16 16_09_45-Autodesk Revit 2020.2.6 - [NVM-RHI-BE-7600-EFM-3DM-00-00001.rvt - 3D View_ Navis.png

 Please, consider fixing the issue, it would help a lot to improve project coordination.

luke.coxon
Advocate

Don't hold your breath people. I created this idea.... 

' The world's best BIM360 Idea '

about the top voted idea not getting a response from Autodesk. 

It is now quickly gaining votes, which says it all.

Chad-Smith
Advisor

Also adding to this Idea, the similar issue when linking directly from the Desktop Connector that results in missing published information.

Problems like this show the fragility of the entire Revit to BIM 360 workflow. No matter how the data is linked from BIM 360, it should be published with the sheets. If it can't display published data, then it's not a true Common Data Environment. Not to mention it doesn't comply with ISO 19650's Published state.

Revit links are not visible in BIM 360 Document Management or Docs on the ACC platform after publish...

Has anybody had any feed from Autodesk regarding this nesting issue that indicates that they are actually working on a solution?

David_A_Vinoly
Explorer
No response on this issue. I had requested that Autodesk implement some type of “RELATIVE” Pathing functionality. The need to re-link files in a container file causes a HUGE TIME CONSUMPTION during processing. They should also provide a way to re-path multiple links at one time. If they are all shared to ONE folder, Revit should be able to load and read the associated files. I have over a hundred files I have to re-path when handing this off to other consultants. This is using both Revit and BIM 360… I have not slept in YEARS! Heehee…
i.casalin
Explorer

we're having the same issue in 2022, @autodesk is it solved?

jonathan.berthet
Participant

Still nothing in 2023. This topic have been raised 4 years ago!!

As told above, this is a major need for Autodesk to create this feature. Many of us are wasting too much time to bypass what should be natural on a decent BIM software.

On my side I have 2 models living in parallel, in with a proper hierarchy (multi-levels, as it should be), and a specific model only to be able to see all links in B306/ACC. So at each new revision of a model I have to load it twice. Sometimes it's easy, sometime less.

Hope Autodesk will open their ears!

I also voted for The world's best BIM360 Idea ', good topic 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report