Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIM 360 Field App for iPhones

BIM 360 Field App for iPhones

Do Autodesk intend to make the BIM 360 Field app available on the iPhone?

57 Comments
anthonyneal
Autodesk

The one device every site manager carries at all times is a phone. The iPhone 6 with its bigger screen is the one device nirvana for site managers. Its easily carried in a jacket pocket so you never forget to bring it with you. The screen size is big enough to run checklists and log issues, view 2D drawings. It can also make phone calls !!! For right or wrong our phones have become an extension of our very selves so if we want to encourage higher usage onsite having a BIM 360 Field app on the phone makes sense.  

rickmc
Enthusiast

100% Agreed!  With IOS 8 coming out and the other integrations between iphone/ipad/macs seems like this will be more achievable (hypothesis)...  

Does Autodesk ever reply to these threads?

peter.billante
Explorer

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your comment.  While there is no iPhone app available today, it is certainly something we are interested in too.  We can't announce any forward-looking plans in this area, but we do appreciate your input and ideas about an iPhone app.

Regards,

Pete

BIM 360 Field

Product Management

MClark_GilbaneCo_com
Community Visitor

+1 this idea. I view the iPhone as a capture tool, aslways handy. I'd settle for a Field Capture app to quickly input issues or run through checklists. Taking advantage of a device that is always in our pockets is a must. I always seem to come across issues when I forget the iPad in the office trailer.

jlannen
Advocate

One way you can use any phone as "capture" tool for issues at least is to email them.  if you click on the notificaiton icon in the upper right corner of your home screen you will see the email address of your project, it is the name you give the project.  So for example, if your project was Building 123 the project address is Building123@velaserver.com  You can even save this address in your contacts as a vCard.

When you send an email to that address, it automatically creates an issue under your user name, the subject line is the issue text and any attached pictures go into the issue too.  You can then go into the website, filter by your issues, open them up and add all of the other details.  It isn't perfect, but it does work for all of those times you forget your iPad or for people who have Android phones.

Status changed to: Future Consideration

Thanks for the request-

This is definitely an item for strong consideration.

How important do you see model viewing on a smartphone app?

Or would this be more convenient as a way to easily create issues, perform checklists and view documents?

thanks-

Jim Gray

Sr. Product Line Manager, BIM 360 Field

elaratonda
Advocate

I would like to see this as a more convenient way to easily create issues, perform checklists and view documents, but don't forget the Android market!

An iPhone app needs to be created, even if it has limited functions.  It would be nice to have an issue option and photo option you can link directly with BIM360 field.

Tags (1)
elaratonda
Advocate

more thoughts...

I think that if Autodesk wants to capture this market of technology in construction they should be designing for Apple and Android, tablets and smartphones, for all roles. Model viewing would be nice, but looking at and creating issues, checklists, photos, etc. is far more important.

After 10 years in the IT field I switched careers and after 10 years as a union carpenter I am now at a site manager level. I see a day in the future when the man swinging the hammer has a digital resource in his toolbelt. If you build it, they will come. BIM 360 Field of dreams. lol

elaratonda
Advocate
DanSmith85
Advocate

Definately think that this is of value. Whilst more people are starting to invest in iPads, there are still a number of users in the field (including subcontractors/consultants) who dont have tablets. Providing access to the iPhones would make it more feasible and easier to get wider adoption of all site team member, and more timely information/response to information.

cthurrott
Alumni
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hi there:

Thanks for this feedback.  We already have a discussion going on this topic here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/bim-360-ideastation/bim-360-field-app-for-iphones/idi-p/5259785

Please add any additional thoughts you have over there.

Thanks,

Chris Thurrott

Principal User Experience Designer

BIM 360

sivapd
Alumni

A smartphone app for BIM 360 Field is much needed. Could start with Issues first, and then incrementally adding up to checklist, equipment, library, models and so on... Would love to see this as soon as possible... 

maciek.fiutak
Community Visitor

Absolutely we need BIM 360 field for the iphone. I am special inspections supervisor and use iphone 6 plus and MacBook Air, I need to do checklists, take photos, make notes, review reports, I don't see a reason to get ipad as a third device.

Please bring out an I phone app. Even if it's limited as others have said, this is much needed and well over due. Thanks

If an iphone app is developled, please create a function where Subcontractors can add their man hours & daily reports.

SteveDFThorne
Collaborator

I have to agree with:

"I would like to see this as a more convenient way to easily create issues, perform checklists and view documents, but don't forget the Android market!"

In partuclar for use with a focus on using field for safety. Ensuring every sub contractor has access to safety checklists via iPhone, Andrioid, and....i think that's it these days, sorry blackberry. 

maciek.fiutak
Community Visitor

We perform special inspections and would like to use iphones 6plus for BIM 360 field.

Model viewing is no important.

We need to:

1. Take and annotate photos

2. Follow checklists

3. Create punch lists

4. View plans

5. Make notes on plans

gritua
Observer

An iPhone app for bim360 is a must.  Model viewing is not as important but being able input daily reports, issues, and tasks on an iPhone will make the program that much better. An iPhone 6plus is almost the size of an iPad mini and should have the same capability.  Other products such as note vault have iPhone apps so that dailies can be imputed in the field and pictures taken for documentation and records.  Please create the iPhone app as it is long overdue, behind in development from other products, and only makes sense with the demand from those who use your product.

s.bretherton
Community Visitor

Please Autodesk, If an app is indeed being developed for the smart phone would it not make sense to develop an app for the Android platform as well?

50% of phones out there are running android.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report