Community
BIM 360 Field Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s BIM 360 Field Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular BIM 360 Field topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading model for equipment

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
patrik.kvirenc
558 Views, 8 Replies

Uploading model for equipment

Hi,

I have a problem with a long uploading model from Glue to Field. It still indicates "Model is processing, Waiting for a Glue Processing".  It takes many hours and still nothing. Is it a problem with reduced capacity of uploaded models to Field? I have a mergered model with size about 100 MB (NWD) and 0,2 MB (NWC). It is mergered from 7 NWC models.

Thank you for your help.

P.

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

@patrik.kvirenc

Were you able to resolve this behavior? 

It's been my experience, if the model gets stuck processing, and if you receive a failed processing error, you may need to re-share the latest version of the Glue model. 

-Scott 

First Name Last Name or First Name.Last Initial
Public Facing Job Title
Link Name | Link Name | Link Name | Link Name
Message 3 of 9
P_Adrian
in reply to: scott.a.green

Bumping this post as I've come across this issue today on one of our larger models.

The model is OK in Glue and can be opened in Field however in Field when appending for equipment mapping it has sat there all day "Waiting for Glue processing"

I've now split the model up, merged it together in Glue and will let it sit overnight but the merged model is also saying "Waiting for Glue processing" and has for a few hours.

Is there a maximum number of database fields / objects that Glue can handle?

Message 4 of 9
P_Adrian
in reply to: P_Adrian

Update:

The Glue merged model eventually processed into equipment mapping mode after ~3 hours

The NWD model is still sitting there after ~7 hours+ and I'm going to cancel it.

Hot tip. If you are still waiting for glue processing of a single model after 3-4 hours go back and split the model up and put it together in glue (if you can). Much faster processing. The only problem I have now is that my search sets of the merged model didn't process - So I have nothing to map!!! 😞

Message 5 of 9
scott.a.green

@P_Adrian

To answer your question "Is there a maximum number of database fields / objects that Glue can handle?", no, it is more a matter of network speed and the possibility of timing out the session/upload that I have noticed. From personal experience, I have managed to glue very large models with tens of thousands of objects. I have also uploaded models with extremely large file sizes (models including point cloud data for example can easily exceed 1GB).

That is with the desktop app however, on the mobile app on the iPad that is an entirely different matter - I've noticed that models that are the hundreds of MB range tend to use up the local resources on the iPad - iPads generally have anywhere between 1GB and 4GB of RAM and larger models will require more RAM to load, the iOS uses about 500MB of RAM so in reality a user is left with anywhere between 500MB and 3.5GB to work with. Normally if the model is too large for the iPad you will receive a "The model is too large to open" error. 

Public Facing Job Title
Message 6 of 9
P_Adrian

Hi Scott,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my query. I only ask as this model crashes the desktop Glue application when attempting to create equipment sets on a particular object of which we have a lot of (537,600 to be exact) each of these objects require a bar code scanned and assigned in the field.

As it is crashing the desktop Glue application (Have even left it running overnight) when creating equipment sets my work around is to break the model up into multiple NWC's and 1 NWD. In the NWD create a selection search set of the object to use as the mapping parameter. This search set carries over when the model is glued into field.

I tested this workflow on a couple of the NWC's and the NWD and it worked. I've now combined all of the NWC's and NWD in glue and am pulling it into Field as we speak. It's currently been 14 hours processing.

I have hope as the original NWD I created in my first post eventually converted into Field after 24 hours. (Minus my selection search sets which were made by pulling glue into Navisworks after gluing and resaving back into glue) Will update when/if this model processes and if my workaround works.

Question, what sort of processing back-end are you using to do the equipment mapping into field? By the slow processing that's occurring I figure you guys might need to upgrade it 😉 Engineering resources and utilities designs are no longer simple 3D models but quite complex plants. Our workflows over the past 10 years have advanced considerably with the rise in computing power. It seems the bottleneck is now the cloud services not being able to keep up with our outputs.

Message 7 of 9
P_Adrian

Unfortunately it doesn't look like it has worked. Open to suggestions.

Failed processing.jpg

Message 8 of 9
scott.a.green

@P_Adrian

When you received that error on Field's end, you should try to re-share the latest version of the model from Glue again. If that doesn't work, I would recommend opening a support ticket and include a link to download the model so that a technical support agent can test, they also may need to escalate the issue to the development group. 

I've noticed this behavior can happen with very large models timing out or getting 'stuck' during processing on the back-end. So this prevents Field from pulling the latest version of the model from Glue (hence why I would try re-sharing to see if that clears the behavior). 

-Scott 

Public Facing Job Title
Message 9 of 9
P_Adrian

Thanks Scott,

I've tried re-sharing the model and started the processing in Glue.

The model is not massive ~250mb and contains only a small number of unique simple elements. There is however a lot of repetition spread out over a wide area. If what you have suggested doesn't work I'll raise a ticket. Will post up results.

Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report