Community
BIM 360 Support
Welcome to Autodesk’s BIM 360 Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular BIM 360
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading DWG files

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
martin.lawsonPG4Y8
1453 Views, 12 Replies

Uploading DWG files

Yesterday I uploaded a group of Autodesk Inventor DWG files into DOCS, but even though each file had a unique file name they where treated as the same file, so were added as versions of the same file.

It looks like Docs used the sheet name, in this case 'Sheet 1' to generate the Docs file name and because all of my drawings contain a 'Sheet 1' it treated them as a single file.

If I have a file with multiple sheets, will Docs separate them into single files?

So if I then upload a different file with Multiple sheets this will create new versions of the first upload?

Is there any way around this, as at the moment I can see their creating a lot of confusion?

Hope this all makes sence.

Thanks

Tags (2)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Hi,

We intend to address this in an upcoming release.  Thank you for your feedback and for your patience as we work to improve this aspect of BIM 360 Docs.

Best Regards,

Joan Allen

Sr. Product Manager, BIM 360 Docs

Joan Allen
Sr. Group Product Manager
Link Name | Link Name | Link Name | Link Name
Message 3 of 13

Hi,

I have same issue. All my uploaded .dwg files ending up uploading two files named "2D View" and "Layout".Layout is empty file. (default layout tab)

"2D view" then will just overwrite every other time so if I am trying to upload 5 files, I will only get one file named "2D View" with Revision 5.

While we are waiting for next release with solution I found two workarounds that might not be the best and require extra work but temporary works for me.

1. Creation of individual folders and doing individual uploads. (slow but possible, files are named "2D View" in my case but they co-exist without creating conflict and new versions.

2. Creating layout with correct name within .dwg file then upload group of files.

Outcome of upload then "2D View" file with version equal to amount of uploaded files (this file I just delete) and all needed files with individual names.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: joan_allen

Dear Joan Allen,

after testing the new release of BIM 360 Docs these days, I noticed that this problem still exists.

What is the current status of improvement?

The workaround of creating different folders for every DWG is no option for my team.

Thank you and best regards

Lorenz Betge

Message 5 of 13
joan_allen
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Thank you for checking back on this; we have this in the queue and I'll update this thread when it is available.

Best Regards,

Joan Allen

Joan Allen
Message 6 of 13
joan_allen

Hi,

This issue was resolved and made available in Docs last Friday, July 21.  We have updated the document naming logic so that each view has a unique ID tied to the originally uploaded file name.

If you have any other question or comments, please let us know.

Best Regards,

Joan Allen

Autodesk BIM 360

Joan Allen
Message 7 of 13
bails1974

Hi,

I am having a problem as mentioned previously in this thread. I am testing out the features of BIM360 DOCS by uploading various test files into my test area. When I upload a simple drawing file (.dwg) it always uploads the single drawing file as 2 separate files. One file has the extension -2D View the other has the extension -Layout. Is there a way that I can upload the file without the single drawing being split into 2 separate files? Any help or guidance greatly appreciated.

Message 8 of 13

If you up load the files into the 'Manufacturing Support' area the system splits your file into its separate sheets.
But if you upload them into the 'Project Explorer' it does not split them.
Don't know why this is, we use Inventor DWG files and can have upto 4 separate sheets per file and it just makes it confusing.
Regards..........Martin
Message 9 of 13

Martin,

Many thanks for your reply. I have just tested loading a single drawing into the Project Files location and not the Plans area and yes it loads up as I would hope that it would in the Plans area. Its not ideal though and ideally I want all my plans to appear in the Plans area. It would be a workaround but does a seem a bit strange to me how the system handles a simple CAD file produced in Autodesk Autocad. Hopefully this could be resolved. Many thanks for the assistance.

Message 10 of 13
jonny.pye
in reply to: bails1974

Hi, I am having equally as much frustration with DWGs within BIM 360 docs. Layouts blank, some formatting issues, and multiple files in the plans area. 

Given DWG is staple to most projects is this something that will come under control anytime soon? 

Message 11 of 13
Bill.Knittle

Joan,

I have taken a renewed interest in this issue regarding Model Space/Paper Space with DWG uploads to Docs.

Is there a mechanism with regards to DWG uploads whereby, Number and Title can be mapped automatically to Docs from Attributes of a Titleblock? Is BIM 360 in any way able to read Titleblock Attributes?

More importantly, will the AutoCAD Sheet Sets be considered? In that case, will Docs read AutoCAD Fields? 

Message 12 of 13
carlas4WTYZ
in reply to: Bill.Knittle

Hi Joan,

Has there been any update on auto-updating DWGs in the plans folder? Like it does for PDF files?

Message 13 of 13
carlas4WTYZ

Hi Joan,

Any update on the automatic version update for DWG files in the 'Plans' Section? As it does for PDF files?

Thanks,

Carla

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report