Community
BIM 360 API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s BIM 360 API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular BIM 360 API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opendesign vs Forge for RFA file generation

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
530 Views, 1 Reply

Opendesign vs Forge for RFA file generation

Hi,

Please help me to  understand the difference between  opendesign vs Forge , from the RFA file generation automation and any other key cons of moving towards opendesign (https://www.opendesign.com/)

Regards,

Navan.

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
mikako_harada
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Navan, 

I never used Teigha products.  But looking at their page, they seem to be providing reverse engineered file format. (I haven't looked at everything, but at least for Revit).   As a support personal, my initial reaction is that it makes me nervous about possible file stability issues.  

Anyway, let me try to comment based on the fact from what I know of, which is Forge.  Forge is not just about authoring tools.  It's not about desktop, either.  It's about opening up Autodesk's cloud technologies to the 3rd parties to foster echo-systems at large. It's Autodesk's vision and still evolving.  At the time of this writing, there is no tool that allows you to author Revit file with Forge. There is Design Automation API for dwg or AutoCAD files. But not for Revit. We are working on doing the similar for Revit.  Once we have that, we'll be able to produce Revit file without Revit. We are not in a stage that we can tell exactly when it would be, however.  If your interests is specifically for revit and rfa, it will be more suited for the Revit roadmap discussion

As a side note, I would be interested in the use case of automating rfa files. For example, maker of windows, doors, or equipment used for MEP designs are something I could imagine as one of scenarios.

This might be a bit off the tangent since I do not know the context, another way of looking at the use of Forge is that using Model Derivative and Viewer, where you can translate a certain format to another, and put together on viewer as aggregated model (such as we do with Glue, and Navisworks), we may be able to approach the problem differently.

I hope this helps.    

Mikako Harada
Developer Technical Services

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report