Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats the prefered way to cache particles for vray render?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
daniel9HCWR
203 Views, 4 Replies

Whats the prefered way to cache particles for vray render?

Whats the best way to cache particles in order to render them with vray? I tried .vdb but they dont render in volume grid. I tried alembic but importing an abc cache doesnt work with sequences. 

How should i go about it?

The lack of vray compability drives me mad :)!

all the best

Daniel

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
sepu6
in reply to: daniel9HCWR

Use the procedurals that Vray gives you. You should be able to grab alembics and render particles, strands, geo with it. 

Vrayvolumegrid should work with .vdb 

Both of these options worked for me. Do you have any repro scene where this do not work? 

Message 3 of 5
daniel9HCWR
in reply to: sepu6

Hi, i did'nt understand you there! The procedurals, could you specify it more? I hooked up my particles to a file_cache node and cached particles as alembic sequence but i can't seam to bring the sequence back into maya only single files.

Is there a better way/format/method to cache the particle sim and make it renderable with vray?

Message 4 of 5

Maya, unfortunately, does not support importing animated point clouds through Alembic.

Like @sepu6 said, your renderer should be able to render points stored as either Alembic or OpenVDB point caches. Naturally, we cannot help you with how to use VRay here on the Bifrost forum.

Message 5 of 5
sepu6
in reply to: daniel9HCWR

What I mean is using the Vray proxy, if you import using the Vray proxy you can read points, strands, and geo. It reads the attributes that Bifrost gives you so you can use them to shade for example. 
To render volumes use the volume grid, Which should give you access to the different fields. 

maya_EIlJEOwVx8.png

maya_tvw1D9DLM1.png

  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report