Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set smoke color from a texture map.

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
rstefan
987 Views, 10 Replies

Set smoke color from a texture map.

Hi,
I wonder if is possible to colorize smoke using the same texture from the input geometry.
Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
stamatk
in reply to: rstefan

Hi @rstefan 

Since Bifrost does not yet support the import of image textures, the only way to do this would be to bake the texture onto your geometry as CPV data in Maya, and then use that in Aero to color the smoke. 

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks!
Kosta

Konstantinos Stamatelos

Bifrost FX Product Owner and Designer

Message 3 of 11
rstefan
in reply to: stamatk

Hi Kosta
Thanks for your reply! Can you look at the attached image, I think I missing something - the smoke color is still black.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 11
stamatk

Try this:

On the aiStandardVolume click on presets and set it to default_bifrost_aero

Break the connection you have between aiUserDataColor and the scatter color. You don't need this.

Since you named your custom property "color" (make sure this is a float 3) just type in "voxel_color" for the Scatter Color Channel on the shader

Also FYI, if you did want to drive scatter color using a user data node, in this case you would need the aiVolumeSampleRgb because this is a volume. 

Finally, remember the colors will  now show in the viewport, only in the arnold renderview.

Thanks,

Kosta

Konstantinos Stamatelos

Message 5 of 11
mg6083703

Am also need the smoke color in my texture art and want to make  my web design in an amazing way . Would you please help me regarding to this 

Message 6 of 11
stamatk
in reply to: mg6083703

Hi @mg6083703 

As mentioned above, unfortunately textures are not yet supported by Bifrost. You must bake the texture into the source geometry CPV in Maya, and use that CPV map as color for the aero source.

Thanks!
Kosta

Konstantinos Stamatelos

Message 7 of 11
rasskot8CDN7
in reply to: stamatk

Hi. Thank you for the detailed reply. Unfortunately none of these techniques work. It is straightforward but for some reason it just doesn't work. Did you try this way with maya 2022 or 2023? It works with particles but smoke is always black. Typing in numerical values  gives you  colours for each channel but that's about it. What I have tried is painting color vertex,  not using a texture map to transfer it. But that shouldn't matter I guess.

Message 8 of 11
sepu6

There is a couple of things that you need to make sure of in order to make this work. I recorded a little video to help you out.  

Message 9 of 11
rasskot8CDN7
in reply to: sepu6

Thank you so much for this! 

Message 10 of 11
rstefan
in reply to: sepu6

Thank you very much SEPU6 for taking the time to record a video tutorial. I will open the attached scene as soon as I have some free time.

Message 11 of 11
rstefan

I confirm that it works but only in Bifrost 2.4. Thanks to everyone for their help. This thread can be marked as solved.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums