Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sanity check random instance material by ID

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
adrian_wyer
210 Views, 2 Replies

sanity check random instance material by ID

based loosely on the fractal crystals tutorial by Jason, im trying to assign a random user ID to geo that's been instanced/merged in bifrost, then use ai user data to switch between materials at render time...

i can fiddle with a simple graph and get the random number generator to change the instance at each point

but taking that same random number and writing it to user data in the same way Jason was in his example scene doesn't change the material... pretty sure it's something fundamental i'm doing wrong, but can someone take 2 seconds to check my scene?

thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
sepu6
in reply to: adrian_wyer

is because when you put your set geo property after the baked instances the geo isn't any more instances, meaning one obj per se, is polygons (meshes) so the "mat_ID" is not matching, so what you could do is just transfer or copy the properties, and set up the property before you baked.  Here is a fixed file.  

With that said, if you are rendering in Arnold, you do not have to bake the geo. 

maya_v9eiL2uvit.png

Message 3 of 3
adrian_wyer
in reply to: adrian_wyer

perfect, thanks!

like i said, something i am doing that's fundamentally wrong!

have a great weekend

a

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums