Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrict a simulation influence node to the inside area of a peice of geo?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
mikeporetti
636 Views, 9 Replies

Restrict a simulation influence node to the inside area of a peice of geo?

is there a way to (for example) add a turbulence noise to an aero sim but only winthin the area of another closed peice of geo.    Alternatively, how else might i achieve the goal of restricting an influence to a specific area in 3d space? 

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

The extrude compound is using an influence. Maybe it does work similar to what you need.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/bifrost-forum/extrude-compound/td-p/8970977

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 3 of 10
syracoj
in reply to: mikeporetti

I believe mask_influence (which offers implicit shape or a geometric input) will produce what you need. You can daisy chain influence fields.

mask_influence_example.png

Message 4 of 10
mikeporetti
in reply to: syracoj

perfect thank you!   is there a way to do this with source property?  it would be cool if there was a mask_source_property node 

Message 5 of 10
syracoj

No there is not, but you can use a colorSet and paint where you want the influence of the source_property to go.

Message 6 of 10
syracoj

There isn't a mask (with bounding box) functionality available for varying source properties.

But what I was able to put together was a means to paint color data based off of a (bounding) box geos bounds relation with the input object.

So where the box overlaps the input object we turn those verts/points white.

since this generates a color property we can plug that color prop into a vary_source and use it like a BBox "mask" for the vary_source node.

I'll post the compound and screen shots of the compounds internals after this post.

paintWBoundBoxAsSourceMask.png

Message 7 of 10
syracoj

how it works. 

top level input and outputs:

paint_white_with_bbox_topLevel.png

inside the compound: (sets set_geo_prop(color) based on array of black and white)

paint_white_with_bbox_inside.png

inside first iterate: (builds array of indices that are found inside the BBox bounds)

paint_white_with_bbox_iterateStoreIndexWithinBounds.png

inside second iterate: (assigns black or white to a empty array. This does actual color assignment) 

paint_white_with_bbox_iterateAssignWhiteOrBlack.png

compound attached

Message 8 of 10
mikeporetti
in reply to: syracoj

this is awesome, studying it now, thanks! 

Message 9 of 10
mikeporetti

your setup works great.   Ive used it to mask fog_density emission in an aero graph.   however i have been unable to connect it to a failure_stretch property in an mpm graph.

Is failure_stretch incompatible with color mask in vary_source_property?

Message 10 of 10
syracoj

failure_stretch should work. There may be other properties at play to get a successful failure_stretch response. You may also want to negate the resulting color (so where it is white it becomes black, and where it is black it become white) and see the response then.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report