Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendering strands with animated inputs

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
joostkonemann
1032 Views, 8 Replies

Rendering strands with animated inputs

I've been playing with strands and strange attractors, see image. Though I noticed when an input to the graph is exposed to Maya and animated, for some frames Arnold does render the strands, but in most cases it renders nothing.

I captured my screen to clarify.

Is this a known issue?

strange_attractor.png

--
MacBook Pro 13,3 - 2.7GHz - 16GB - Radeon Pro 460 - macOS Catalina 10.15
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
WindXu
in reply to: joostkonemann

Thanks for reporting this problem to us. If possible, could you please share one test scene with us?

Message 3 of 9
joostkonemann
in reply to: WindXu

This is the scene showing the issue.

--
Message 4 of 9
WindXu

Thanks for the quick response. We will investigate it and get back to you once we get anything. Thanks again.

Message 5 of 9
syracoj

Try adding an assign_material node right before the output node.

you can create a standard_surface in the graph or you can create an aiStandardSurface in DG land and middle mouse button (MMB) dragAndDrop it into the graph as a referenced IBP (input by path). From there (regardless of material creation you do) connect it to the surface input of the assign_material node and see if that helps.

Message 6 of 9
joostkonemann
in reply to: syracoj

Thanks John, this resolved the issue.

--
Message 7 of 9
syracoj

no prob.

another thing to try is to add a set_arnold_strand_setting node before the output node. <- try this and let me know if this also works on your side.

Message 8 of 9
joostkonemann
in reply to: syracoj

This works as well. Thanks.

Though, I guess preferably, both options should not be needed and Arnold should render at least something, right?

--
Message 9 of 9
syracoj

the construct_strands should either render or not render. It should not inconsistently do both. Discussed with Jonah and he feels that we should enforce it to render a guaranteed minimum width in all cases. Still trying to understand whether or not the animated input is a factor in the problem or not. Regardless, I will be drawing up a ticket to catalogue this as a defect. As of now it is being interpreted as a rendering defect. More to follow later.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report