Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendering and baking point cloud with CPV

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Xaia
1135 Views, 5 Replies

Rendering and baking point cloud with CPV

Hi there, 

I am looking for a way to render with Arnold and bake to vdb points (or alembic or procedural) point clouds with vertex color generated with bifrost. Could someone explain me how to do it and point me to right direction?

Cheers

Xaia

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Grahame_Fuller
in reply to: Xaia

Hi Xaia,

In the Bifrost graph, use set_geo_property to store the per-point colors that you want as a custom float3 property on the points object using any name, and then use one of the write_* nodes to save a file cache as Alembic or VDB.

The Alembic commands in Maya itself do not support points/particles yet and I'm not sure about the Maya VDB toolkit, so you'll need to use the read_* nodes in a Bifrost graph to import them into another scene. Then you can use, for example, an aiUserDataVector node to get the custom property values and connect them into the Base Color of an aiStandardSurface shader in Maya's Hypershade.

I hope that helps,

gray

Grahame Fuller
Learning Content Developer
Message 3 of 6
rico
in reply to: Grahame_Fuller

"The Alembic commands in Maya itself do not support points/particles yet"

Why not ?

Message 4 of 6
Xaia

Thanks, I will check it out.

But on the other hand - after all these years, something like point cloud or particles over alembic should be supported.

Message 5 of 6
Grahame_Fuller
in reply to: rico

Hi,

I'm not directly involved in setting priorities for Maya, but usually it's simply because other work has had higher priority so far.

Remember that if this functionality is important for you, you can vote for it on the Maya Ideas Board. In the meantime, is using Bifrost an acceptable workaround?

Cheers,

gray

Grahame Fuller
Learning Content Developer
Message 6 of 6
rico

Thank you Graham. I was unaware of that link. I've added my vote there now.

Bifrost is incredibly exciting.  I've whined in various places about the lack of API (being a Redshift user primarily, Vray when needed) . As it stands it's only usable for certain things if you're not an Arnold user:

(Redshift)
 For all things Aero we can access through openVDB (and boy is that fun!).
 For things meshable we can use bifrostGeoToMaya.

For particles/instancing we're pretty much screwed.  sooooo close! Basically I'm like a midget in a candy store.

As you can see we're frustratingly close to being able to use Bifrost in our everyday work at the studio. Then we can really start learning and pushing.   Until then I'm resolved to being a whining crybaby.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums