Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Randomly stepping function, feedback port not working, why?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
bugsdabunny
377 Views, 2 Replies

Randomly stepping function, feedback port not working, why?

I have attached my graph. I am trying to create a randomly stepping function, that holds a random value for a certain amount of random frames, then switches the value for a new number of random frames after the first iteration cycle is complete. For example, in my graph you should see the cube popping around, holding a value say for 3 frames, then 7 frames, 5 frames, etc.

I thought I could achieve this with a feedback port, but it seems my variable cur_cycle_end_frame is not updating after the first iteration. I am not sure what I have done wrong here, but I think I have misunderstood how the feedback ports are supposed to be set up. Any help is appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mjcg91
in reply to: bugsdabunny

Your function seems to work as expected, the problem is that nothing was pulling the data from the two feedback ports, therefore they did not get evaluated. In Bifrost, usually if an output port is not connected, then the upstream computation is ignored.

What you can do is use a force_pull_port like: 
force_pull_port.jpg

This nodes forces data in the "pull" ports to be evaluated. The "value" port is just a passthough for another data that is already connected to something downstream.

Maxime Jeanmougin - Technical Artist
https://maximejeanmougin.com

Join the Bifrost Addicts community on Discord:
https://discord.gg/bifrost-addicts
Message 3 of 3
bugsdabunny
in reply to: mjcg91

Oh my goodness, I keep falling to this issue. Hopefully it is the last. I had a feeling it was something silly, thank you for looking at my graph. It's nice to know the logic was not flawed

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums