Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent to type in 0 in detail size MPM Sim

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
doppelgaenger_digital
247 Views, 4 Replies

Prevent to type in 0 in detail size MPM Sim

it happened to me 2 times, that my fingers are faster than my brain, and I typed in 0 in Detail scale with MPM sims. So it triggers immediatley the calculation. Can't abort it anymore. 

Would be super cool to have at least a warning, like when subdividing to a very high level in Maya. 

Or don't allow to type in 0 at all?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

+1000

Message 3 of 5

Hello,

Thanks for this feedback, we could definitely prohibit a value of 0 for solver resolution in MPM (and aero), but a value of say 0.0001 could still be pretty devastating. Since simulation resolution is relative to scene scale, even if we block the value of zero, it would still be a value very close to zero.

They key to saving yourself from this issue is to use escape termination. You mention you can't abort anymore? I was able to easily escape out of a MPM solver resolution of 0 so if that's not working for you we should focus on figuring out what's going on there.

Thanks!
Kosta

Konstantinos Stamatelos

Bifrost FX Product Owner and Designer

Message 4 of 5

I thought so too, that escape termination should be working. But it keeps on filling my Ram and CPU usage is 100%, what's also unusual for MPM sims on my setup. 

I can send you my scene over, and you can take a look youself. But I can only share privately...

Message 5 of 5

Hi @doppelgaenger_digital,

I see now what's going on. The escape termination will abort the simulation but in the background it's still trying to complete at least 1 frame.  I have logged something in the system so that we treat the "zero case" differently so as to prevent this.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Kosta

Konstantinos Stamatelos

Bifrost FX Product Owner and Designer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report