Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2019 Bifrost animation not working on our Mac OS desktop computer

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
788 Views, 10 Replies

Maya 2019 Bifrost animation not working on our Mac OS desktop computer

I have a student working in Maya 2019.  He is trying to learn how to work with the Bifrost graph animation.  He is watching this instructional video....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTP45zdPQTI . When he pulls in the purple object that is supposed to be animated, it does not respond when he pushes the play.  There is no animation or anything that happens when that object is pulled in.  The play just spins.  Our Mac computer is a brand new desktop from Apple with Mojave OS

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Bifrost not workingBifrost not working

Message 3 of 11
t_chanma

When you say the play just spins, do you mean the Time Slider just loops endlessly?  I would right-click the Time Slider and check to make sure Playback Speed is set to "Every frame, Free".

Even after you do that, just keep in mind that the playback will be slow since it's using dynamics.

Matt C

Senior Content Experience Designer

Maya Documentation | Maya Learning Channel |
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: t_chanma

Yes, so when we click to see the animation, it does nothing.  If you notice, we are also getting a yellow flag on caching.  That is what stopped us on our other computer we tried as well.  

Message 5 of 11
t_chanma

Don't worry about the yellow caching warning - that's appearing because Bifrost Fluids is incompatible with Animation Caching at the moment.  You can just turn it off if it's bothering you (it shouldn't have any effect on the scene though).

I'm curious, if you go to the bifrostLiquid node and disable it, does the animation on the robot at least play back?

Matt C

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

I am very much a novice at Maya and Bifrost.  Where do I find the Bifrost liquid node?  When we pulled in the Trilobot, I do not get the corresponding Bifrost graph editor that shows the rest of the nodes.  

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Playback Speed is set to Play Every Frame, Free

Message 8 of 11
t_chanma

On the left side in the Outliner, click the entry that says bifrostLiquid1.  Then on the right side in the Attribute Editor, find the checkbox that says "enable" and turn it off.  Does the trilobot animate now?

What I suspect is happening is the simulation is just playing back very slowly due to the bifrostLiquid, which is not important for the tutorial anyway.  

Matt C

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

I turned the liquid off and can now see the animation.  So when we worked on this last time, we were able to get the Trilobot to work, but when he went in and added the smoke, it would not play again.  Is that the same problem?  Do we need to turn something off?

Message 10 of 11
t_chanma

I would try doing the tutorial again as shown, but leave the splash simulation off or delete it completely.  I suspect your computer may not be powerful enough to run both the splash and smoke simulations at the same time.

If you find the smoke simulation still plays extremely slow, I would increase the Geo Detail Size at 4:35 in the video.  This will decrease the visual quality of the smoke, but will get you better performance.

Matt C

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Thank you for your assistance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums