Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an easy way to tint or color your smoke to make it look like a colored gas?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
DragoCG
754 Views, 10 Replies

Is there an easy way to tint or color your smoke to make it look like a colored gas?

I'm trying to figure out how to color my smoke in the Bifrost Graph Editor using Aero, but can't seem to figure it out. I found one tutorial by a guy name Bruce Lee that is in Chinese, and I'm having a hard time following along. Can anyone explain this process in English or point me in the right direction?  Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
to-to-ro
in reply to: DragoCG

You can try this approach

Anton Kalchenko
Message 3 of 11
DragoCG
in reply to: to-to-ro

Sorry for the "noob" question, but how did you create "additional properties" in the "source_air"  

I don't have that option to plug into. If you could give me a few quick step-by-step instructions on how to set this up and how to control the color I would really appreciate it.  Thank you. 

Message 4 of 11
Christoph_Schaedl

Bruce did a tutorial about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eylP9wM1GNI

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 5 of 11
to-to-ro

Here is the scene file. It is quite simple.

Anton Kalchenko
Message 6 of 11
DragoCG
in reply to: Christoph_Schaedl

Thank you. I tried watching it, but was having some difficulty following along. I also hoped there was a less involved process as I imagined there had to be some easier way to add a color value to smoke outside of that process. (although what he did was super-cool.)

Message 7 of 11
michael_nielsen

Hi,

If you don't see the additional properties on the source_air node please update to the latest Bifrost version if possible:

https://area.autodesk.com/bifrost/downloads/

Using the additional properties is the easiest way to achieve colored smoke using the scene file Anton posted above.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Nielsen

Principal Engineer
Message 8 of 11
DragoCG
in reply to: michael_nielsen

Michael,

Thank you. I did not have that update, so that's a big help. However, I tried doing what the image shows, and my smoke is still coming out grey.  Can you take a look at this image and let me know if you see something I'm missing?  Thank you!  Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 10.54.02 AM.png

Message 9 of 11
michael_nielsen

You will need to assign an Arnold volume shader to the output bif shape. If you download the scene file Anton attached earlier in this thread and open the hypershade, you can see how this is done (note that it requires the Arnold plugin to be loaded).

See also attached image.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Nielsen

Principal Engineer
Message 10 of 11
DragoCG
in reply to: michael_nielsen

I've tried doing what was shown, but I am not sure what I am missing. The color is still coming out gray. Very frustrating...Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 3.33.37 PM.png

Message 11 of 11
stamatk

Hi @DragoCG , make sure the additional property is a float 3 with some non zero value and then use the 'voxel_color' in the arnold shader for scatter color, not density.  Please note that the color will not show up in the vp2.0, it will only show up in the arnold viewport/render.

I have attached a short video which demonstrates how to do this starting from scratch.  I's agree that there are perhaps a bit too many steps to take for this to work, and I plan to make it more straightforward in future releases.

Thanks!
Kosta

Konstantinos Stamatelos

Bifrost FX Product Owner and Designer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report