Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation on dedicated server and CPU choice

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
davide445
211 Views, 0 Replies

Installation on dedicated server and CPU choice

My last Bifrost sim needed 1h every frame, so that I was looking how to scale up fast hw resources at need.

Since seems difficult to find remote workstation or DaaS solutions with both a powerful CPU and also a good GPU, the best option seems to use a dedicated server in the cloud. My doubts are

- most common one are on Linux Server with no desktop environment. Looking at the documentation seems is possible to download and install Bifrost on Linux and using it from CLI, exporting the compound or graph from Maya and importing into the new installation. Asking if someone has already tested this path.

- also since my Maya installation it's on Windows wondering if this can be a problem in term of compatibility of the exported componets with the server installation.

- the better option I have found for my needs and budget it's a 32 core Epyc 7502P, with good multithread performance but not so good single thread one. Considering if might be better to go to a lower core count but better single thread (the ideal option available from the cloud provider will be Ryzen 5950X but will have very long provisioning times, so that the only realistic option will be a Ryzen 5800X). My sim is focused on MPM and rendering it's on Maya Render Hardware 2.0 (only interested into the dynamics so far).

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report