Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't resume crashed snow sim.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
shamusoliver
185 Views, 6 Replies

I can't resume crashed snow sim.

Maya 2023

My sim crashed, when I set the cache mode to lazy, it just writes 1kb files for the rest of the sim.

I tried to use the initial state node - it does something - using more than 150gb of ram, and it works hard, then processor load goes down, then back up and so on for hours, then crash. I got it to work once, but the grains were huge.

I did check the resume after esc box.

One time it made it to frame 150, then this last time it only made it to 89. I need to sim 500 frames.

I can attach the .mb but the cache files are large - 1.8gb

Any help is greatly appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
shamusoliver
in reply to: shamusoliver

Forgot to mention why the ram usage was suspect - during the sim it was using less than 20gb.
Message 3 of 7
shamusoliver

The cache is going to a local ssd.
Message 4 of 7
shamusoliver

Also, anyone know why this is happening? They will bounce between 50%-80%. Is there something I can do to get it to utilize closer to 100%?

Message 5 of 7
shamusoliver

Update #903

Lazy mode worked from frame 2 on using .abc, at frame 4 now, will update with progress.

Even from frame 2, I couldn't get .bob to sim onward when in Lazy mode.

Message 6 of 7
shamusoliver

Cancelled at frame 7, ran it from frame 1 in Lazy mode and it worked.

For me at least, you can only resume a grain cache if it is .abc.

Message 7 of 7
shamusoliver

I don't know what changed, but it crashed at frame 250 and when I try to resume with Lazy mode, it is just writing 1kb files.

Tried to set the initial state but it does nothing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report