Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would I fill a cube from the bottom up with liquid?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jackddA42GU
1338 Views, 6 Replies

How would I fill a cube from the bottom up with liquid?

Hi all, first please forgive my lack of understanding with liquid simulation, this is new territory for me!

I am attempting to fill a cube with water with the emitter staying at the lowest point of the cube, my problem is that once the emitter gets submerged it stops spawning more particles, see diagram below.

Bifrostwaterspawn.jpg

My second question is how do I increase the amount of liquid being spawned over time? I would like to fill quite a large space from a small cylinder but my current tests would take 1000's of frames to actually reach the top of the volume at it's current rate.

The end goal I would like to achieve is a simulation which I can then convert into an an animated mesh and export into Unity.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
t_chanma
in reply to: jackddA42GU

Hi there,

So a couple of things.  You'll want to do this using Bifrost Fluids (check the FX menu set) rather than a Bifrost graph.  You can use the following workflow.

1. Without anything selected, go to Bifrost Fluids > Liquid to create a new liquid.
  2. Select your emitter object, and Shift + select the bifrostLiquid node, then go to Bifrost Fluids > Emitter to make it an emitter.
  3. Select your container object, and Shift + select the bifrostLiquid node, then go to Bifrost Fluids > Collider to make it a collider.
  4. Select the bifrostEmitterProps node, then in the Attribute Editor set it to "Continuous Emission".

That's it.  Just make sure your playback speed is set to "Play Every Frame, Free" then hit play.  You can then play around with the various resolution settings to adjust the quality of the simulation.  When you're ready to output to a mesh, select the liquid node (under bifrostLiquid), go to the Bifrost Meshing section in the Attribute Editor, and turn on Enable.  You can then cache out the mesh.

Matt C

Senior Content Experience Designer

Maya Documentation | Maya Learning Channel |
Message 3 of 7
t_chanma
in reply to: t_chanma

I've attached a quick example file here.  I also turned up the emitter "Expansion Rate" a bit just to get it to fill faster.

Matt C

Message 4 of 7
jackddA42GU

Thanks for the guide, it's very helpful. I've set my emitter and it's working well but I can't find some kind of control for the amount of liquid being emitted from it, it's filling up way too fast! I've found this documentation on it, but don't see any of the actual properties like Rate % in any of the attribute properties of my fluid sim.

Message 5 of 7
t_chanma
in reply to: jackddA42GU

So actually that documentation is for the older "Fluid Effects" feature, not "Bifrost Fluids" (a little confusing, I know).  What you're actually looking for is this: http://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2020/ENU/?guid=GUID-E1478BAF-0AE5-4D88-87D1-7824472E8442

One thing I did do in that example file was increase the "Expansion Rate" in the "bifrostEmitterProps" node.  If you find it's going too fast, you can lower that value.  Also be mindful of the scale of your scene.  Bifrost works under an assumption of 1 grid unit = 1 m.  So if your cube is very small, you might be filling something more like a tea cup rather than a pool, which is why it's so fast.

Matt C

Message 6 of 7
loreleip

Hi,

I have a similar question and set-up, but a different result comes about. I need the liquid to start from an emitter positioned midway inside of a box collider shape. The water falls down and builds up, and I need it to continue upwards so it goes past the emitter mesh. The collider is built tall to support this.

The problem is that the liquid won't accumulate above the top edge of the emitter mesh object. Once it reaches the top edge, it stops emitting. I can't find any topics about this online.

I've attached two pics: the location of the mesh emitter in relation to the collider solid. The other shows how the liquid does not go past the top of the mesh. The emitter Liquid node is below.

Any help would be appreciated.

emitter_limit_accumulation.png   emitter_mesh_w_collider.png

Message 7 of 7
linyse2001
in reply to: loreleip

I have similar problem. The emitter stops emitting when the water level reach the emitter. 

Next, i key the expansion rate to 0.5 then after that i key it to zero when the water level is up to certain level. But it just keep expanding forever.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report