Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to control the height of the point by the brightness information

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
KawashimaHi
1282 Views, 15 Replies

How to control the height of the point by the brightness information

How to control the height of the point by the brightness information of Point_color, similar to the high field`111.jpg222.jpg333333.jpg

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
KawashimaHi
in reply to: KawashimaHi

I have succeeded!

Message 3 of 16
syracoj

so what did you do exactly?

Message 4 of 16
KawashimaHi
in reply to: syracoj

dd.png

Using get_geo_property to get the Colorset. Controls pointpos.Y, but I don't know how to export these instance objects to other format data? I want to use the scene in other renderers

Message 5 of 16
syracoj

to use the scene in other renders you will need to get the geo out.

so instead of instancing you could create a replicator that copies an input mesh (that was once used as the instanced object) to each point then pass that out using BifrostGeoToMaya -> maya mesh. Obviously you lose out on the performance you get with instancing.

Message 6 of 16
KawashimaHi

Thank you for your reply, I am very looking forward to the next version of the update, can you disclose the time of the specific update?😍

Message 7 of 16
rico

Could you share how this was done ?   Cropped low res screengrabs aren't exactly helping.   

I would love to experiment with this version of  "topology from geo".    We need to help push Bifrost forward now with examples wherever possible 🙂

Message 8 of 16
syracoj
in reply to: rico

In earlier screen grabs it looks like he may have varied the 'size' source property using a colorSet (vary_source_property has a color set input) on a basic_particle system. The result of that particle system (the points) may have then been fed into an set_instance_geometry node where a non-uniform polyCube may have been set as the instance object.

see attached image.

PossibleUseOfVarySourcePropSizeOnPartSys.png

Note:

If you select the vary_source_property node and go to the info tab in the parameter editor you will see the available 'source properties' you can choose from the 'vary' from each respective bifrost system (basic_particles, aero, mpm, etc...).

For the other image he includes, he may have displaced along Y using a b&w colorSet the points of a dense polyPlane, and then used those points as the positions for a set_instance_geometry  node. He then may have added a thin, non-uniform polyCube as the instance object.

Hope this helps.

Message 9 of 16
syracoj

here is one without using a particle system. Just using a b&w image used as a color set on the input mesh and displacing the mesh to get my Y offset points which are then fed into a set_instance_shape node with an added polyCube (non-uniform, long in Y) as the instance object.

usingDisplacedPontHeightFromColorMap.png

Message 10 of 16
rico

That was WAY more useful, thank you very very much syracoj.

The learning curve at the moment for bifrost is pretty steep, so examples are ALWAYS appreciated.   Don't ever be afraid to walk us through baby steps here.  I, for one, won't ever be offended.     I could happily watch a day long course on Bifrost just to get the very basics (which is a joyous thing to say after 20+ years of Maya)
   It's embarrassing to ask some of the elementary questions, and pride gets in the way.   For example, the second (non-particle) setup had me stumped right at the beginning with the "multiplier" output.  Where the heck is THAT on the input node ?  (I say this with a mildly frustrated smile).    
  Bifrost is undoubtedly brilliant ..it certainly feels it.. but we really really need to be hand-held through its infancy while it gets purchase and tutorials.

Again, thank you VERY much for the insight.  I got the particle version up with ease, and feel that tiny bit more empowered for it.

🙂  /RH

Message 11 of 16
mikeporetti

may i please see a top level view of the non particle graph?

Message 12 of 16
rico
in reply to: mikeporetti

Or preferably ( if you're feeling generous).. a sample scene that we can examine and learn from?

Message 13 of 16
syracoj
in reply to: mikeporetti

persp render below, followed by a few top ortho arial renders.

@RICO, I can do a short video tutorial on this. Be advised my approach may be different than what im1985cat originally did.

persp_01.jpgarial_01.jpgarial_04.jpgarial_08.jpgarial_09.jpgarial_10.jpg

Message 14 of 16
rico

That would be absolutely fantastic!   That's super kind of you to put in that effort !

sorry for the delayed reply (that must seem rude) - I'm on the road at the moment and only able to check sporadically.

Message 15 of 16
syracoj

sorry for the delay @rico. See attached mp4. Hope this helps.

Message 16 of 16
rico

Good grief, you apologize  for the delay !?  I’m astounded that you took the time to make such a thorough video. I really couldn’t ask for more, or be thankful enough for it. Superb! Thank you again.

I’m sorry for the delayed reply ( I’m still on the road - Death Valley yesterday with no connectivity until today). I wont be home for another 9 days, but you can be sure I’ll be joyfully experimenting after this video! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums