Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different result from volume in bifrost exported as vdb in arnold

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
brunoalive
231 Views, 8 Replies

Different result from volume in bifrost exported as vdb in arnold

Hello everybody ! 

I have an issue with an export of a volume made in bifrost graph as a vdb file. I made a compound that makes a volume from a mesh with the node mesh_to_volume that I multiply with a fractal field to add more details in it. When I try to render it, every thing works fine :

vdb_bifrost.jpg

Then I made an export as vdb with the node write_OpenVDB and it worked fine. I can read it in my bifrost graph with the node read_openVDB_volume but when i try to open it with an arnold Volume in a different scene, it seem that the volume has lost a lot of definition and I don't konw why. 

c383333d-179a-4a05-afcc-9dc5f9e147f4.jpg

Does any body have an idea how to read it properly with an arnold volume ?  Thank you in advance 🙂 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Polytikal1
in reply to: brunoalive

What was the resolution setting for the voxel? And for the ai Volume Shader, do you add that post cache or pre-cache?

Message 3 of 9
brunoalive
in reply to: Polytikal1

for the voxel size in bifrost: 

the detail size of the mesh_to_volume is 0.05 in absolute

the detail size of the volume_to_mesh is 0.05 in absolute 

in arnold I didn't find any voxel size param 😕 

brunoalive_0-1673281483006.png

and for the volume shader I add it after I done the cache

Message 4 of 9
sepu6

Can you share the scene, it will be easier to help. It should not happen but I cant tell for sure why is happening without looking at something. Out of curiosity why are you rendering outside BF?  You know you can create a volume material inside the graph as well, right? 

Message 5 of 9
brunoalive
in reply to: sepu6

yes sur !

I made a little project folder with the scene and the abc I used to do the fx in bifrost : 

https://we.tl/t-PW13tr1amD

I want to export it as vdb because i want to use it in an other scene. I am working on a sequence to render and I didn't want to add a bifrost graph in it because it will increase the size of the scene. 

Message 6 of 9
sepu6

There is a small difference between the VDB and rendering straight from BF but nothing like what you are seeing. 

That small difference is probably because of the resolution rounding that BF volumes have to do when you convert them into VDB. 

What version of BF and Arnold are you on? 

Arnold Volume  (VDB)

maya_AiVolume.png

BF - ReadVDB 

maya_BFReadVDB.png

BF no VDB, direct output

maya_BF_Direct.png

Here is the file 

Message 7 of 9
brunoalive

Thank you for your help ! 

I'm on maya 2023.1, bifrost 2.4.0.0, MtoA 5.1.2

Message 8 of 9
sepu6

I would upgrade to 2.6 and the latest Arnold as well. It is a much better experience overall. It also could be a bug in that version, but I do not recall. 

Message 9 of 9
brunoalive
in reply to: sepu6

Alright I see where I was wrong, I didn't set the Density Chanel as voxel_fog_density in the AistandardVolume. It was by default on density. I checked your options in the scene you provided and it was the missing step.  Thanks a lot, you are the boss 🙂 !!! 

brunoalive_0-1673345186550.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums