Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deleting points/faces on geometry?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
mikeporetti
1416 Views, 13 Replies

deleting points/faces on geometry?

not sure exactly how to do this, here is what im trying now, hjow would i delete a face or some verts on some input geo?

right now i get the error "Warning:  Cannot draw an object with no points"

image.png

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
t_chanma
in reply to: mikeporetti

I think this is actually a deceptively tricky thing to do, because "delete_points" only works on point objects, not meshes.  You're probably better off getting the array of the point positions, deleting the indexes of the points you want, and then building a new mesh using the modified array.  The tricky part is figuring out how to connect all the faces where the vertices were deleted (i.e. how do you fill in the gaps left behind)?

What I can tell you for sure is that ""Warning:  Cannot draw an object with no points" is due to the empty output port you have on your Output node.  If you delete that, you should clear up that error.

Matt C

Senior Content Experience Designer

Maya Documentation | Maya Learning Channel |
Message 3 of 14
mikeporetti
in reply to: t_chanma

sigh.   i have no idea where to begin with that.  I hope autodesk will get busy making tutorials soon because simply defining inputs and outputs in the docs is not good enough for us in the unwashed masses.

Message 4 of 14
ihooper

I hope that the solution is an easier to use system, rather than more tutorials! 🙂 We know that working with geometry is hard right now. Many people are going to heroic lengths to do amazing things with geometry, but that was not our focus for this initial release. I think you will see that the simulation FX workflows are a little easier to work with at this point. In time I expect you will see more high-level compounds that should make geometry manipulation workflows accessible to the rest of us.

Ian Hooper
UX Architect
Message 5 of 14
mikeporetti
in reply to: ihooper

that would be awesome.  im very greatful for this new tool and cant wait to see what it will become

Message 6 of 14
andrew.c

Mike, check out the delete_mesh_faces node.  You'll need to create a collection of faces first and feed that into the node.  Here, I'm using the volume of a cube mesh to delete faces in a plane.

delete_faces.png

Message 7 of 14
mikeporetti
in reply to: andrew.c

hmm where do i get this node? 😄

Message 8 of 14

delete_mesh_faces is a standard node.

hit tab and type in dmf

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 9 of 14
mspeer
in reply to: Christoph_Schaedl

Hi!

It's not available here with Bifrost 2.0.1.1 .

Is it only available with Bifrost 2.0.2.0 or rebel pack,...?

Message 10 of 14
ihooper
in reply to: mspeer

You are correct, that delete_mesh_faces is a Rebel Pack compound. However, if you are not on 2.0.2.0, I would like to encourage you to stay up to date. It is a quick and easy install.

Grab the latest build from here:

https://area.autodesk.com/bifrost/downloads/

And the Rebel Pack from here:

https://area.autodesk.com/downloads/rebel-pack-0-2-0/

Ian Hooper
UX Architect
Message 11 of 14
Christoph_Schaedl
in reply to: ihooper

If its a Rebelpack node why does it not have the red R icon? Every Rebel node should have that. 

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 12 of 14
ihooper
in reply to: Christoph_Schaedl

I think he must be using an older version of the rebel pack, from before we added the icon.

Ian Hooper
UX Architect
Message 13 of 14
mikeporetti
in reply to: andrew.c

i tried copying this graph and im not getting deleted faces.  is there something going on that the image isn't conveying that i haven't done perhaps?

Message 14 of 14
syracoj

Did you check off 'Store Fog Density' and check on the 'Store Level Set' checkboxes on the mesh_to_volume node?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report