Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

camera frustrum culling for particles?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mikeporetti
987 Views, 5 Replies

camera frustrum culling for particles?

how would i acheive this?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

If I'm not mistaken you currently would have to implement that yourself. It's possible to do it in the graph with the math nodes but it's quite advanced. It's certainly something we would like to have, but I guess we haven't gotten around to it yet.

Message 3 of 6

Hello,

As a kind of workaround for now, you can create a bounding box parented to your camera and feed that bounding box into the simulation bounds of the particle solver settings. Not as precise as camera frustum, but will provide similar functionality. 

Thanks!

Konstantinos Stamatelos

Bifrost FX Product Owner and Designer

Message 4 of 6
mikeporetti
in reply to: mikeporetti

thanks !

Message 5 of 6
stephen.yee
in reply to: mikeporetti

point_in_frustum.gif

Here's a small example of how it can be done by plugging in some of the camera values from Maya into the board, constructing a projection matrix from it, and using that to test whether some world-space points are inside it.

Note this won't work if you mess with the film back translate/roll options on the Maya camera. Also, you would need to use a different matrix for orthographic cameras.

Message 6 of 6
stephen.yee
in reply to: stephen.yee

point_in_frustum_2.gif

Here's an updated file that works with ortho cameras too.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums