Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bifrsot does not support Maya curves?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
wuhailu
802 Views, 8 Replies

Bifrsot does not support Maya curves?

There are no basic conversion tools, copy tools, move tools, and scale tools. The built-in bifrost strands also has no basic editing tools. Very troublesome!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
wuhailu
in reply to: wuhailu

QQ图片20191116085504.pngQQ图片20191116085827.png

Message 3 of 9
MarioReitbauer

I was also taking a look at Bifrost and it seems like curve support is very limited ?

My plan was to try and read a detailed feather object and deform it through planes.

Basically it all works, get planes in neutral pose, get those deformed, subtract positions, manipulate your curve which got converted to a strand. But if one wants to do that on 100.000 curves there seems to be no option at all to do so since only single curves get imported (and not, as example, a transform with all its 100000 curve shapes or a set of curves or whatever).

Maybe someone can shed some light on this and when a better way of handling/converting curves (as strands) might be available ?

Message 4 of 9
wuhailu
in reply to: MarioReitbauer

Bifrost is designed as an independent entity, which is disconnected from Maya's nodes. I think it's necessary to wait for bifrost to really support program modeling, and then do this within bifrost.

Message 5 of 9
MarioReitbauer

Well, Bifrost to me seems like a try to implement something like ICE.
Currently it looks like alpha version 0.1 and to be useful it would need close to the feature set ICE had.
Being able to access all your necessary scene informations for sure is one important part. Lets see what future versions will bring, but this can be a very powerful toolset for sure.

Message 6 of 9

Hi guys

Yes we are still behind where ICE was.  But every day, we aim to get closer 🙂

There is no native conversion from Maya splines/curves into Bifrost at this time - as you have found out (other than manually connecting the individual CV attributes across as float3, or just passing locators in and rebuilding the spline mathematically inside Bifrost).

That said - we ARE working on a native conversion of Maya splines to Bifrost.  If you are dying to get your hands on this sooner, keep an eye on the beta.  If we get it working, it will appear there first for testing/feedback.

cheers

Marcus

Message 7 of 9
mspeer

Hi!

You can try some workaround by converting a curve to a polygon object.

Sadly there is no curve_to_polyCreateFace node in Maya.

But there are other options that may need multiple steps and some additional corrections based on what you want to do, but with history active even curve rebuild can work.

bifrgraph_curve.gif

Message 8 of 9
wuhailu
in reply to: MarioReitbauer

Hi!

I think bifrost has great potential , saw the video demonstration of the bifrost material rendering module before, which is very convenient.

Message 9 of 9
wuhailu
in reply to: mspeer

Hi!
Let me try. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report