Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BiFrost USD and SubD Attributes

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
IRONIC3D
110 Views, 0 Replies

BiFrost USD and SubD Attributes

Hi Everyone

I've been trying to figure how to save a USD with it's SubD on and import it while having the subD still working.

First the setup:

I've been trying Maya-USD plugins since 0.16 and now with 0.19.

BiFrost: 2.5

So far I've tried the following export import methods and none brings the mesh with it's SubD intact:

1. Export a USD with the Mesh having a "Smooth Mesh Preview" in the shape node.
  2. Export a USD with the Mesh having a "Smooth Mesh Preview" in the shape node, but change the context of the USD exporter to be "Arnold" and explicitly select that it is a Cat-Clark subD mesh in the options.
  3. Export a USD with the Mesh having a "Smooth Mesh Preview" in the shape node using Arnold USD and setting the mesh to be subD (This does something to the geometry, changes the topology but doesn't change the face count, it's something strange but not useable)
  4. Export a USD with the mesh having the SubD scheme selected under Arnold attributes.
  5. Export a USD with the mesh having the SubD scheme selected under Arnold attributes, but change the context of the USD exporter to be "Arnold" and explicitly select that it is a Cat-Clark subD mesh in the options.
  6. Export a USD with the mesh having the SubD scheme selected under Arnold attributes using Arnold USD and setting the mesh to be subD (This does something to the geometry, changes the topology but doesn't change the face count, it's something strange but not useable)
  7. Crate a BiFrost stage and export the prim with either Smooth Mesh Display and Arnold SubD through BiFrost.

Suffice to say I've tried every angle and watch every video where a scene is exported, none go through that detail of how to use SubD in a USD context.

Is the SubD option broken? or is there a method to get it back that I am not aware off? Any tip would help.

Thank you

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report