Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bifrost fluid workflow Ocean splash foam

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
darioOrtisi
321 Views, 7 Replies

Bifrost fluid workflow Ocean splash foam

hi there.

I'm trying to understand what's wrong with my setup and above all what are the parameters or why this happens. As you can see the water, as the boat passes by, generates splashes and splashes upwards. I have to say that in my humble opinion this is a mistake and I can't fix it.
I remember when I was using Realflow it was very simple immediate fluiod and I did not encounter these problems. Now I no longer have access to realflow and would like to try with Bifrost legacy Fluid, but I can't solve it. The reference tutorial is this on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3FQJjgrenc&t=189s

darioOrtisi_0-1657702898293.png

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Hi Dario,

Please attach your scene file if possible, so we can have a look.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Nielsen

Principal Engineer
Message 3 of 8

oh yeah @michael_nielsen 

Definitely I need an help. I've resolved the splash exiding on stern ship(is right in English?) But now on ship Bow i've added foam and wow. Exagerated.

darioOrtisi_0-1657783448708.png

Message 4 of 8

Thanks, we will have a look.

Michael Nielsen

Principal Engineer
Message 5 of 8

Hi Dario,

I have attached a scene file where I set up the guided liquid and foam from scratch to keep better track of the settings. Hopefully you can use that as a starting point.

I increased the thickness of the emission region (on the emission region properties) to get a larger simulated region around the ship collider and used world space units instead of voxels to make it consistent if the resolution changes. If the emission region thickness is too small and the ship collider moves fast, I suspect that particles can get caught in-between the ship and the guiding ocean such that particles are squeezed out giving rise to the large splashes you were seeing.

Another thing I did to dampen the effect of the collider on the surrounding liquid was to lower the velocity scale on the collider properties to 0.7.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Nielsen

Principal Engineer
Message 6 of 8
darioOrtisi
in reply to: darioOrtisi

Thank you @michael_nielsen 

I appreciate your help.

I was wondering how to solve this gap between ship and water. Reducing collider doesn't work and reducing emission region is not the solution.

darioOrtisi_0-1657871340163.png

Message 7 of 8

It happens because the voxel resolution is very coarse.

For example, if you set master voxel size to 0.5 (instead of 1) and the thickness on the collider to 0 (instead of 1), the gap almost goes away:

michaelnielsen_0-1657877370978.png

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Nielsen

Principal Engineer
Message 8 of 8
darioOrtisi
in reply to: darioOrtisi

Thanks @michael_nielsen

I've encountered in the same problem but i remember that you answered the same question sometime ago. I've notice that i never give you a response. So, thank you and sorry for the late reply.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report