Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support for No Drag turning now in beta for HSMWorks

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
fonsecr
1728 Views, 28 Replies

Support for No Drag turning now in beta for HSMWorks

In the latest HSMWorks development release we have added support for No Drag for Turning Profile implemented by Alexander. This feature will allow the cutting direction to be automatically adjusted to avoid the insert dragging "up" the walls. This is one of the top feature requests for turning.

You need to enable beta mode to see the feature.

For now you will only see a single setting on the Passes tab called "No dragging" which is disabled by default.

No dragging setting

A normal Turning Profile toolpath would drag the insert up the wall:

Normal Turning Profile toolpath with dragging up the wall

With no dragging enabled the toolpath will be automatically split and relinked to ensure the insert cuts "toward" the stock.

Toolpath with no dragging enabled.

For now the no dragging applies to both finishing and roughing passes.

The point of split is taken from an advanced parameter called No Drag Limit which is currently only available from the Compare and Edit dialog. The No Drag Limit is an angle measured from the "vertical" insert cutting edge to the toolpath tangent. The default is 22.5 deg.

Here is a simplified toolpath with only finishing passes. No Drag Limit of 22.5 deg.

Finishing only with no dragging. No Drag Limit of 22.5 deg.

And here is the same toolpath with No Drag Limit of 60 deg.

Here is a simplified toolpath with only finishing passes. No Drag Limit of 60 deg.

There is currently no overlap supported but this will be added a bit later. Also not there is a small clearance to the stock "wall" that is currently proportional to the tolerance - this will only be visible at near "vertical" walls. We didn´t expose this setting yet because we didn´t have to good default for it.

Please try it out and let us know if you see any problems. Thanks.

René Fonseca
Software Architect

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
fonsecr
in reply to: fonsecr

Here is the example file.

René

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 3 of 29

First of all this is awesome!

@fonsecr wrote:

There is currently no overlap supported but this will be added a bit later. Also not there is a small clearance to the stock "wall" that is currently proportional to the tolerance - this will only be visible at near "vertical" walls. We didn´t expose this setting yet because we didn´t have to good default for it.

Indeed overlap would be needed for finishing passes especially. So for now it doesn't really help much for finishing where it would give most advantage.

The clearance default I would suggest is the nose radius, but would love to be able to edit this value. Especially for roughing in stainless this would make the insert last 2 times as long if I could stay clear at least 2 mm from the wall. 

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 4 of 29

New development release now available with a few fixes for No Drag. I also added the clearance feature now.

René

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 5 of 29
jeff.walters

I have reported that the No Drag cannot be turned off on ticket CAM-4384

Jeff Walters
Senior Support Engineer, CAM
Message 6 of 29
Steinwerks
in reply to: jeff.walters

@jeff.walters wrote:

Was just coming back to this to report. I do not have Beta mode enabled.

No Drag.JPG

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 7 of 29

@Steinwerks wrote:

@jeff.walters wrote:

Was just coming back to this to report. I do not have Beta mode enabled.

No Drag.JPG

I even send a video to the guys. Smiley Wink

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

René for Legend.

Message 8 of 29

I'm just not that cool. Smiley Sad

FYI here's my Compare and Edit for that toolpath:

No Drag Compare-Edit.png

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 9 of 29

Hey guys,

Thank you for reporting.

In the meantime, I am excited to get your feedback on this feature.

Cheers,

Al

---------
AL Whatmough
Director Product Management - Manufacturing

Note, I love to engage on the forums. However, I spend a lot of time in meetings trying to help clear the path for our amazing team of Developers working on Manufacturing at Autodesk. So, if I don't respond immediately, it's not that I don't care.
Message 10 of 29

@al.whatmough wrote:

Hey guys,

Thank you for reporting.

In the meantime, I am excited to get your feedback on this feature.

Cheers,

Al

@al.whatmough

The feature it's self has just proven to make my insert survive 20 minutes instead of 8 min in stainless roughing.

So what do you think? AWESOME!

(I expected 2 times due to previous hand written tests but it turned out to be more for this specific case.)

For the finishing I haven't tried because these parts need to be spot on and since there is no overlap I know there will be a little mark. But once that has been fixed it will be perfect for finishing making sure you get small chips instead of very long ones.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

René for Legend.

Message 11 of 29

@Laurens-3DTechDraw that is great to hear.

Alexandar will he pumped to hear this.  He works hard on this one for a while!

It is always motivational for devlopers to see their code saving customers $$.

Cheers,

Al

---------
AL Whatmough

Note, I love to engage on the forums. However, I spend a lot of time in meetings trying to help clear the path for our amazing team of Developers working on Manufacturing at Autodesk. So, if I don't respond immediately, it's not that I don't care.
Message 12 of 29
fonsecr
in reply to: al.whatmough

I fixed the always enabled No Drag feature in the latest devel release.

René

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 13 of 29
Steinwerks

I told our lathe guy about this and he's pretty happy. Our previous integrated solution wouldn't do this either, so another advancement on the part of HSMWorks. Glad to see the improvements coming down the pipe!
Neal Stein

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 14 of 29
steve.duke

A welcome addition to the Turning, GOOD JOB!

We typically use this strategy for finishing and have been very happy with it. Standard Roughing with a CNMG and Finishing with a VNMG using the No Drag strategy is poetery in motion. Haven't seen a need for it in Roughing but it is good that others are enjoying success with it.

Message 15 of 29

@steve.duke wrote:

A welcome addition to the Turning, GOOD JOB!

We typically use this strategy for finishing and have been very happy with it. Standard Roughing with a CNMG and Finishing with a VNMG using the No Drag strategy is poetery in motion. Haven't seen a need for it in Roughing but it is good that others are enjoying success with it.

I'll explain why this is helpfull for roughing as well.(Especially with WNMG and CNMG inserts due to the angle they are commonly used in.)

When you have the chip breaking on the side of the tool, the chip will get trapped between the insert and the side wall.

When this happens you get forces on the insert where they aren't supposed to be and possibly break it. So with this you can make sure that doesn't happen.

Chip breaking.png

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

René for Legend.

Message 16 of 29

I just posted that the latest HSMWorks 2016 R3 is now a release candidate. This particular feature is expected to be released with HSMWorks 2016 R4. We are going to keep finalizing it so you should get updates in the coming weeks as we implement the missing subfeatures.

René

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 17 of 29
scottmoyse
in reply to: Steinwerks

excellent feature!! Any chance of getting pull away from vertical walls before retract in the grooving and parting toolpaths soon please? Then you can allow rapid retract too.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 18 of 29
al.whatmough
in reply to: scottmoyse

@Laurens-3DTechDraw should be soon now 🙂

Alexander has been hard a work!

cam1923_overlap.png

---------
AL Whatmough

Message 19 of 29
fonsecr

Overlap is available for testing from HSMWorks2016-R3.40993 / June 20, 2016.

René

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 20 of 29
dthuren

So to be clear not in Inventor HSM yet right?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report