Did you mean: 

.skf files created in autosketch v8, not readable in v8

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
sliplake
1477 Views, 8 Replies

.skf files created in autosketch v8, not readable in v8

I'm hoping someone can provide insight to help recover some files. 

Files were created with Autosketch version 8 in windows XP on two machines, Dell-#2 and a Mac laptop with virtual software emulating XP, which I stopped using a few years ago along with Autosketch on this machine). Prior to Dell-#2, I used Dell-#1 what also had Windows XP installed. 

Recently, I did a fresh install upgrading to Windows 7 on Dell-#2. I set the compatibility for the Autosketch program to Windows XP, service pack 2. Autosketch will not recognize or open the newer files created on either the Mac or on Dell-#2. The preview button in Autosketch will NOT show an image of the file contents but the preview button in Windows will show an image.  

Also, I tried opening the newer files from Dell-#2 and the Mac on the older Dell-#1 that still has windows XP. This includes some files created only on Dell-#2 and never ported over to the Mac. None will open.  

I have tried setting the compatibility of Autosketch to Windows 7 and get a register error. Windows and virtual software on the Mac were eliminated long ago so trying that is not possible. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: sliplake

Are the files corrupt? That seems to be what you are describing, nothing more.

Post one of more of these files, let others look at them.
Message 3 of 9
sliplake

No, I don't think they are corrupt but rather a conflict with the operating system. Thixoman was able to open them with one of his older computers and operating systems but I cannot. We think the problem arose when I starting using Autosketch on the Mac running windows XP with VMWare. Whatever parameters were set within the files for graphics etc. likely caused the problem. 

I no longer have VMWare and can't replicate the Mac environment. Thixoman saved them as .dwg and .skf files and resent them to me. Alas, neither my oldest machine with Windows XP, or the newer one running XP in compatibility mode under Windows 7 will open them.  

I tried to post one of the files here but I get an error saying that .skf is not a valid extension and has been removed??

Message 4 of 9
StevenMac

Rename the file extension to .zip or .bmp or something and upload.

Message 5 of 9
sliplake
in reply to: StevenMac

I've renamed the file from .skf to .bmp to pass through the forum filter 

Message 6 of 9
StevenMac

Opens fine in Autosketch 10, running on Windows 10 64 bit. See attachment.

Message 7 of 9
sliplake
in reply to: StevenMac

Thanks StevenMac. I'm glad you were able to open it as it tells me the files are not corrupt. I'm still baffled as to why it is not working on my setup (autosketch 8, windows 7, 32 bit)?

I'm going to experiment more with my setup, probably reinstall autosketch and run it in windows 7 without the compatibility mode to windows XP.  

Message 8 of 9
Kevin.Hutch

Loaded fine on my W10/AutoSketch 10 and was editable, just in case some other anomaly exists in the file I have resaved in in both skf and dwg format. (strip the .bmp off of course)

Kevin Hutch
Be part of the solution not part of the problem
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 9 of 9
Kevin.Hutch
in reply to: Kevin.Hutch

On further viewing many elements were coloured white on a white background making them disappear, I selected all and changed to black then all appeared fully.

One system may have the option "If Same Page Colour invert pen" not set showing some unusual results.

Kevin Hutch
Be part of the solution not part of the problem
(61) 4 0887 1538

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report