Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QuickCad is Alive!

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
Anonymous
7008 Views, 24 Replies

QuickCad is Alive!

I opened the QuickCad discussion group a few months ago and was saddened to learn that AutoDesk had euthanased my good friend. Last Saturday I was wandering through an Officeworks store and picked up a copy of AutoSketch 9. I immediately recognised the face of QuickCad on the cover. I paid my tribute to AutoDesk. My computer embraced the CD. My friend was alive. I believe that it was embarrassed by a dumb name like QuickCad and changed its name – but why why to a boring and demeaning name like AutoSketch? KillaCad would suit better. The improved layer control is great.
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

QuickCAD and AutoSketch have shared the same base for many years - the base being the old Drafix program. The AutoSketch name has been around a long time. It's the whole Auto---- thing with AutoDesk. Rob Davis wrote: > I opened the QuickCad discussion group a few months ago and was saddened > to learn that AutoDesk had euthanased my good friend. > > Last Saturday I was wandering through an Officeworks store and picked up > a copy of AutoSketch 9. I immediately recognised the face of QuickCad on > the cover. I paid my tribute to AutoDesk. My computer embraced the CD. > My friend was alive. I believe that it was embarrassed by a dumb name > like QuickCad and changed its name – but why why to a boring and > demeaning name like AutoSketch? > > KillaCad would suit better. The improved layer control is great.
Message 3 of 25
Anonymous

Glad to hear that Autosketch 9 could be a replacement for QuickCAD8.  Will it run in Windows 10? That was the demise of my QuickCAD8. And, will it access all the QuickCAD8 files?

Thanks.

Tony

Message 4 of 25
pendean

You are answering a 12-year old post my friend: also a dead and buried program that no one can purchase except maybe on eBay.
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Dear Dean Saadallah,

Can you try to help me with an issue im having with Quick Cas 8?

I had to buy a new computer with win.10 and was then informed the QC8 would not operate on Win 10. I have a huge number of QC8 files which are (for me anyway) impossible to access. I was able to transfer some of my files from QC8 to Win 10 machine and tried opening these on A student version of the current Autocad but found this impossible to work with.

My question: is there any similar prog. to QC8 i could get to work with the sameor similar ease of use and one which will let me access all my old QC8 files?

I would be so very grateful if you were able to give me your best advice. I had thought of downloading QC8 as it is available for free but im not sure it works and if i need to tweet with it to make it work, Im not all that literate with the tweeking of these programs.

Look forward to hearing from you if you can make the time.

Warmest regards

Peter Leydon

Message 6 of 25
pendean
Message 7 of 25
Kevin.Hutch

I ran Autosketch 9 for a couple of years on various windows version including XL, 2000, 8, 8.1, 9 & 10.

I now run 10 on windows 10 and as a retiree with years of Autosketch use and 100's files.

I have no intention of changing unless I can find something that still allows access to all myfiles some years old that still get used.

Sorry I can not answer if AS10 can read your files but if you send me one (kevin.hutch@hotmail.com) I will test it for you.

Kevin Hutch
Be part of the solution not part of the problem
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 8 of 25
Anonymous

how do you buy the QC software?   jack

Message 9 of 25
Kevin.Hutch

Sorry my friend, QuickCAD has long since gone, replaced with Autosketch that had its last update to V10 then obsoleted by Autodesk moving to the more modern world of 3D modeling.

There are still a few die-hard 2D CAD users still monitoring this forum and providing advice and fileconversion to old users wishing to convert to something else. Unfortunately, the task that has proved too hard for a few of us as DFX/DWG proves a poor compatibility medium and the motivation to learn something new has waned.

Kevin Hutch
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 10 of 25
Kevin.Hutch
in reply to: Kevin.Hutch

Autosketch V9 & V10 readable files with a .CAD format are Drafix CAD or QuickCAD. Pre V2 Autosketch .skd files cannot be read by Autosketch V9 or V10.

Autosketch is to my knowledge the only program that reads .skf files and it also reads some CAD format files, as Autodesk sold QuickCAD, a version of Drafix as an entry level CAD package and wrote various input/output format capabilities (see below), primarily to encourage users to migrate to Autosketch. They are still all versatile 2D packages but not all run under Windows 10.

Autosketch ceased to be sold with the release of version 10 to run with Windows 8, some years back, V9 & 10 run without problem on Windows 10.

I fail to see why Autodesk are not even prepared to make a read only version available that could write in various formats even JPG or PDF, so old Autodesk drawings could be at least viewed.

There have been various copies available on the internet both new and second hand, Happy planet software still has Autosketch for under $100 at (happyplanetsoftware.com),  (hotsoftwareoutlet.com) or (hotsoftwareshop.com)

There are a few of us still actively using Autosketch and we happily convert most files simply by reading them into Autosketch and saving them in the format required.

Depending on the volume, turnaround is usually quite quick. If you want to limit the distribution of the files email them and we will attempt to convert.

Another fellow CAD user is Allan Crosby crosby_a@hotmail.com Cell 403 899 2237

The formats that are recognised by Autosketch V10 are:

WRITE                                                                    READ

AutoCAD 2000 DXF (*.DXF)                           AutoCAD Drawing File (*.DWG)

AutoCAD 2000 Drawing (*.DWG)                  Autosketch (*.SKF)

AutoCAD 2004 DXF (*.DXF)                           AutoCAD Drawing File (*.DWG)

AutoCAD 2004 Drawing (*.DWG)                 Autosketch v2.x (*.SKD)

AutoCAD 2007 DXF (*.DXF)                           Drafix CAD v3.x/v4.x (CAD)

AutoCAD 2007 Drawing (*.DWG)                  Drafix CAD PORt

AutoCAD 2000 DXF (*.DXF)                           Drawing Interchange (*.DXF)

AutoCAD 2000 Drawing (*.DWG)                  QuickCAD (*.CAD)

AutoCAD R12/LT2 DXF (*.DXF)                       Windows Metafile (*.WMF)

AutoSketch (*.SKF)                                      

AutoSketch v7/v8 (*.SKF)

Autodesk Design Web Format (*.DWF)

Bitmap (*.BMP, *DIB)

GIF (*.GIF)

JPG (*.JPG)

PNG (*.PNG)

QuickCAD (*.CAD)

TIFF (*.TIF, .TIFF)

Kevin Hutch
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 11 of 25
asam361804

I began using Drafix QuickCad something like 20 years ago and until my old old XP machine died I created quite a few drawings.  In an effort to recover usable files, I recently took the hard drive from the old dead XP, put it in an enclosure to read it from my Windows 10 machine; set up an Oracle VirtualBox to run XP as a guest on Windows10.  I was able to run QuickCad.exe from that USB drive as an Administrator on that VM and managed to save several of my old files in DXF format - - - but the next day the exe began giving me the error message "Stop {sign} Someone else is already using that name".

Does anyone have a clue what that is about?

Message 12 of 25
Kevin.Hutch
in reply to: asam361804

Not something I have seen, when trying to reuse a file name in Autosketch it ass "replace existing file".

At what stage does the error come up when trying to save the dxf file or at startup time as though there is some username test on the exe file. If so are using the same username as the original Drafix registration.

Kevin Hutch
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 13 of 25
asam361804

Thanks for such a quick response!
The error occurs without opening the app; no splash, no nothing, just the error.
When running as Administrator I am just asked to supply the password that was set up in XP for the Admin account; I get the same result if I try to run the app with any XP account name other than Administrator whether that account has admin privileges or not. I’m not sur what I may have used as name or password when I originally installed QuickCad 20+ years ago but in the VM mode the app did open several times with just XP Administrator & password and I wonder if I could have somehow exited the M world without closing the exe!
Message 14 of 25
Kevin.Hutch

Sorry you have me stumped and unfortunately this forum is not monitored as actively as it used to be, we can only hope someone comes up. Sounds like the piracy protection software has allowed a few starts and then locked the program, all depends where that is saved if it can be worked around.

Could be for some reason it did not close correctly and if you look in task manager you may be able to end task to clear it.

Autosketch quickly displays the serial number on startup, but am not aware if QuickCad did that.

I know it is a big ask to still have the source, but could you reinstall QuickCad.

If not and you specifically want access to more files, Autosketch is still available for under $100 and runs under W10, this would allow you to edit and save as sometimes DXF conversion is a bit scratchy.

If all else fails I could convert your drawings as I still run Autosketch.

Kevin Hutch
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 15 of 25
asam361804

Just to confirm:
What I see about Autosketch 10 is the System Requirements specify Windows Vista or XP;
You are saying it will run on Windows 10? In windows compatibility mode??
And it will open my old cad files from Drafix Quickcad?
Message 16 of 25
Kevin.Hutch

All Autosketch documentation was pre Windows 10 so it doesn't mention W10 I ran Autosketch 9 and now Autosketch 10 directly under W10 with no problems, just load and run.

If you have any doubt post a file and I will load and convert it, just zip the file as the forum may not accept the file as it is.

Kevin Hutch
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 17 of 25
Kevin.Hutch

To be specific for future readers, I have had some success with CAD files and am willing to try for you, post or send a file and I will have a look at it,

Autosketch can;

READ

AutoCAD Drawing File (*.DWG)

Autosketch (*.SKF)

Autosketch v2.x (*.SKD)

Drafix CAD v3.x/v4.x (*CAD)

Drafix CAD PORt

Drawing Interchange (*.DXF

QuickCAD (*.CAD)

Windows Metafile (*.WMF)

WRITE

AutoCAD 2000 DXF (*.DXF)

AutoCAD 2000 Drawing (*.DWG)

AutoCAD 2004 DXF (*.DXF)

AutoCAD 2004 Drawing (*.DWG)

AutoCAD 2007 DXF (*.DXF)

AutoCAD 2007 Drawing (*.DWG)

AutoCAD R12/LT2 DXF (*.DXF)

AutoSketch (*.SKF)

AutoSketch v7/v8 (*.SKF)

Autodesk Design Web Format (*.DWF

Bitmap (*.BMP, *DIB)

GIF (*.GIF)

JPEG (*.JPG, *JPEG)

PNG (*.PNG)

QuickCAD (*.CAD)

TIFF (*.TIF, .TIFF)

Windows Metafile (*WMF)

Kevin Hutch
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 18 of 25
jeffkorn

If this works it will be a lifesaver.  I have some old quick cad files and I need to use them to build again some cabinets that I designed in quick cab.  I would like to send you one and see if you can convert it to .dxf file. Now if I can just figure out how to attach a file...  I had to zip the .cad file.

You can email me at kornjeff@msn.com for questions.

I hope so much that you are able to convert it....  Jeff

Message 19 of 25
Kevin.Hutch
in reply to: jeffkorn

Your in luck Jeff, I converted into both DXF and DWG in case one had a better result.

Kevin Hutch
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 20 of 25
nico_soave

Sorry for necroposting,

But i am in the same situation as the user above. I have two very old ".cad" files that I would need to convert in ".dwg".

@Kevin.Hutch would you be able to convert them for me? 

Many thanks in advance 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report