Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March Expert Elite Highlight : Sam's Guide to AutoCAD

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
sam.lucido
3364 Views, 9 Replies

March Expert Elite Highlight : Sam's Guide to AutoCAD

Autodesk is excited to shine the spotlight on Sam Lucido in our March edition of 2016 Expert Elite Highlight series on AutodeskHelp blog. Sam has extensive experience with AutoCAD, and we're very proud to have Sam as part of the Expert Elite program. Sam shares with us tips on Dragging and Dropping files into AutoCAD 2016; watch the informative video below and download the datafiles. Don't forget to find out more about Sam's background and experience in his bio.

Body header.png

Did you know you can drag and drop many different file types into AutoCAD?  There are many drag and drop features in AutoCAD and it’s verticals that are not documented. Not only can we drag and drop drawing (.dwg) files you can also do the same with lisp, script, images, pdf, and even text files. Let’s explore how you can develop it, drag it, and finally drop it in AutoCAD.

DRAWING FILES

It only makes sense that you can drag and drop drawing files into your current drawing since this is the primary type of file used in AutoCAD. 

You can drag drawing files right onto the application menu (big red A) or the start tab and you will open that drawing up in a new window as shown in Figure 1. This method proves effective when you have windows explorer open and you are browsing through files to locate the one you would like to open.

Figure 1: Open drawings by dragging
001.png

You can also drag files into the active drawing area (AutoCAD Screen Area) area as shown in Figure 2 and they are inserted into the drawing as a block. Follow the sequence of commands for insertion point, scale, and rotation of block and it will be placed into your current drawing session. 

Figure 2: Drag and Drop drawings as blocks
002.png

DRAWING TEMPLATES

A drawing template is a file that already contains some standards or objects in place for the user to begin a new drawing. A drawing template in AutoCAD ends with the extension .dwt. Let’s say you have a client title block you want to put in your drawing or start a new drawing file with that title block. Just as you have done in Figure 1, you are going to drag and drop the template into AutoCAD. This can be done in the following four ways and illustrated in Figure 3. 

1. The Application Menu
  2. The Open Drawing Tab
  3. The + Tab to create a new drawing
  4. The Active Drawing areas

Once you drop the template in AutoCAD will begin a new drawing using the settings from the template.

Figure 3: Four ways to drop a template in AutoCAD 
003.png

LISP FILES

AutoLISP is the main programming language used in AutoCAD and is based on the LISP programming language. Because AutoCAD has a built-in LISP interpreter, you can enter AutoLISP code at the Command prompt or load AutoLISP code from external files, even just dragging into your drawing environment. Within AutoCAD help it states that AutoLISP provides three file formats for applications: 

• Reading an LSP file (.lsp)—an ASCII text file that contains AutoLISP program code.
  • Reading an FAS file (.fas)—a binary, compiled version of a single LSP program file.
  • Reading a VLX file (.vlx)—a compiled set of one or more LSP and/or dialog control language (DCL) files. (VLX and DCL files are not supported in AutoCAD for Mac.)

We're going to test a file I created named MyZooms.lsp. This lisp file contains a series of simple lisp routines or code to modify the zoom command making it more useful for zooming in and out with quick typing on the keyboard. The commands used are shown in Figure 4 below.

We are not going to review how to create a lisp file, just take a look at the components.

1. The comment area – Area where creator will make a comment on the routine
  2. The commands – These are the lisp file(s) that will be loaded.
  3. Alert – Adding in an alert to let the user know the program is loaded.
Figure 4: Sample Lisp file
004.png

Loading a lisp routing is a simple as shown in Figure 2. Simply drag the file into AutoCAD and your commands will now be available for use.  HINT: If you have lisp files that you continually load during many sessions consider adding to the startup suite to load each and every time you launch AutoCAD.

With AutoCAD 2016 you may get a warning that it is not in the trusted location, simply hit yes to continue loading the file. Consider keeping all your lisp files in one location then adding that folder to the trusted locations path to avoid the warning.

Figure 5: Alert showing the commands have been loaded
005.png

SCRIPT FILES

A script is a text file with a .scr file extension. Each line of the script file contains a command that can be completed at the Command prompt in AutoCAD. Consider each line input at the command prompt with the user pressing an enter at the return. Let’s examine a script file to change dimensions settings and create a dimension style Figure 7 shows the My Dimensions.scr file as it is in text form. The highlighted portion of the image shows the same commands as they are entered in AutoCAD. 

Figure 6: The script file (.scr) extension
006.jpg

Script files can be loaded exactly the same as in Figure 2. Drag the file into the command area and the commands will run in AutoCAD. In this example the last line of the script file is ddim which runs the dialog box for dimensions to show that the new dimstyle has been created as shown in Figure 8 to show that the dimension style has been created and/or updated just as it is noted within the script file itself. Since I invoked the dialog box of ddim you will not be able to run any additional commands, script files cannot pause for user input.

TEXT FILES 

AutoCAD can import word and excel files by cutting and pasting or even creating a link to the file. Text files (.txt) extension can be dragged and dropped into AutoCAD creating an mtext object. Drag the text file into AutoCAD and the MTEXT window will open up. You will need to adjust the width and margins of the text file but all of the original content will remain intact for you to edit as shown in Figure 7 below. 

Figure 7: Text files into AutoCAD 
007.png

XREFS: PDFS AND IMAGES

The reason for the topic of Xref is that when you drag an image or pdf file into AutoCAD it becomes an external reference and is attached to the current drawing. Use the same technique as in Figure 1 and drag the image or pdf into the drawing area and the file will be attached as shown below in Figure 8. 

Figure 8: PDF and Images into AutoCAD 
008.png

CONCLUSION

AutoCAD provides many drag and drop features that can be very helpful while drafting and designing in AutoCAD. So next time if you just want to test out some new lisp files, attach a block, or even start a new drawing just develop them, drag them and drop them in AutoCAD.

VIDEO: Watch the video below for the helpful step by step instructions:

DATAFILES: Download the zipped data files to follow along the video from this Box.com folder  

ABOUT SAM LUCIDO, AutoCAD Expert Elite

Lucido-ExpertElite.jpgI've been working with AutoCAD since Release 2.6 (1987). I fell in love with design and drafting back in 1982 after taking a drafting class at my high school in Harper Woods, Michigan. Of course, back then it was all board drafting which took a lot of time and patience but it seemed to bring me peace and I became very good at the craft. I graduated from Eastern Michigan University with a bachelor’s of science in computer aided design. I purchased several books and began to expand my knowledge from what I had learned in college.

Since then I have continued to providing training, support, and customization within the engineering and design fields working at 4 major design firms.

Five years ago, it was time for a change and I took a job with Haley and Aldrich as a Senior Civil Designer working primarily in Civil 3D. I also became interested in speaking at Autodesk University and started a blog called CADproTips.com.

I then added Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn to my social media portfolio. I just completed my fourth year teaching at AU and have met and collaborated with some of the best people from all over the world while there. In 2014, I met Jessica Thrasher at the Autodesk Knowledge Network booth and she asked me if I knew about the Expert Elite program. At that time I was unaware of it and she encouraged me to sign up.  When she asked me if I was CADProTips (my twitter handle) I laughed and said, “Yeah, that’s me.” In March of 2014 I was asked to join the program. The rest is history.

I am very proud to be an EE member. Joining the expert elite program has elevated my reputation and helped my company become more visible in the industry. When I’m wearing my EE jacket I have had people approach me asking me where I work and where did I get that jacket. They all mentioned how impressive it was to be in this program. One of those times was with my family at a chocolate shop in Fenton Michigan where I received my 15 minutes of fame with family present!

I still work for Haley and Aldrich as a CAD Services manager and provide AutoCAD, Civil 3D, and Plant 3D support throughout the company’s extensive design team. I also write for AUGIWorld magazine, contribute to the forums, and keep up my blog with monthly tips and tricks. 

Thanks to Sam for this precise and clear step-by-step instructions for the drag and drop functions in AutoCAD 2016, Autodesk truly values Sam's contributions and experience in the CAD field. 

Please subscribe to our AutodeskHelp blog to learn about helpful product tips and tricks like these.
Also check out AutoCAD blog for more valuable tips AutoCAD.

Blog: CADproTips.com
Twitter: @CADproTips
Please mark this as the solution if it resolves your issue.
Labels (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
rkmcswain
in reply to: sam.lucido

Under Drawing Files, you can also drop them onto the Title Bar in order to open them.

That is, presuming the title bar is not completley cluttered up with the QAT, the Infobar, and other UI elements.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 10
troma

I was told to always drop a drawing file (.dwg) onto the commandline to open it.

So many ways! Smiley Happy

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 10
dzanta

Great post Sam!

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Community | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | LinkedIn

Win 11 Pro/DELL XPS 15 9510/i9 3.2GHz/32GB RAM/Nvidia RTX 3050Ti/1TB PCIe SSD/4K 15.4" Non-Touch Display

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

I wish dropping an DWG into an existing drawing would give you the option to bring it in as a block or as an XREF.

Message 6 of 10
rkmcswain

@Anonymous - use the right mouse button to drag+drop and you will get your choices.

choices.png

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 7 of 10
steventaylor

Great Post Sam 😉

Steve Taylor
Autodesk Partnership Development Executive @ Knowledgepoint Connect
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 8 of 10
ajpancha

Best regards to all, thankful to the partner @sam.lucido for sharing their knowledge and this time regarding the different ways of opening the different files, and also can share with us his anecdotes as EE in the presence of his family, my congratulations for Your achievements and experience ...

Hoping that you can continue to share your tips regarding the use of AUTOCAD in different media, have a good day all ...

Atte.

ESPAÑOL

Saludos cordiales a todos, agradeciendo al compañero @slucido por compartir sus conocimientos y en esta ocasión referente a las diferentes formas de apertura de los distintos archivo, y que también pueda compartir con nosotros sus anécdotas como EE en presencia de su familia, mis felicitaciones por sus logros y experiencia...

Esperando que pueda seguir compartiendo sus tips en cuanto al uso de AUTOCAD en los diferentes medios, que tengan un buen día todos...

Atte.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
PD:
Si la info es de tu interés, dale manitos arriba (KUDO)...
Si la info da solución a tu inquietud, o es conocimiento nuevo para poderlo aplicar en el futuro, acéptalo como SOLUCIÓN...

TU ACEPTACIÓN O APOYO EN CUALQUIERA DE LAS 2 FORMAS, ES EL INCENTIVO PARA PODER SEGUIR APORTANDO CON LO MUCHO O POCO QUE SEPAMOS DE ESTE GRAN SOFTWARE PARA EL BIEN DE TODA LA COMUNIDAD...

Felices festividades de Carnaval y feriado...

ALEJANDRO PANCHANA (Guayaquil-Ecuador)
Facebook | Twitter | Screencast

Message 9 of 10
siravi.seo
in reply to: ajpancha

Thanks for sharing this information.

Message 10 of 10
tramber

Well, CTRL helps to OPEN a document by dragging it.

No need to target any special location !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost