Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helix Evolution

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
dinocoglitore
2742 Views, 5 Replies

Helix Evolution

From the first easy examples of the Fusion guide documentation, I have evolved and discovered, little by little, new API functionalities unknown to me. Many aspects are yet to be developed and the path seems very long.

In a previous article (http://autode.sk/2mp9MLD)  I tried to deal with the construction of a helix so that I could give a different vision to what Fusion gives with its Coil operation of the user interface.

I tried to create a helix with an axis that was not perfectly straight so that it could follow a pattern defined by a spline.helix intro.png

In that add-in the distance between the helix and the axis was constant. So a cylinder was created around the axis defined by the spline. This distance was the “radius” parameter of the command input dialog.axis spline.png

The purpose of this article is to describe the next step that is to give a pattern to the helix so that it is not a cylinder. The idea is to give the helix a variable shape as it goes up along the axis.variable shape helix.png

In this example the axis is slanting and the helix outside part follows a line that is not parallel to the axis and it is more slanting.slanted helix.png

In the following example I have created a helix that starts from the same straight line (that is always slanting) but uses a generatrix that is a spline.

amplitude.pngThis allows creating a helix whose amplitude is “modulated” by the generatrix spline.

By doing this we make sure that as the helix rotates up around the axis, its radius changes its value following a line or a spline.

radius changes.png

The plane on which I create the spline defining the helix shape is irrelevant because the script obtains the parent sketch of the spline and its construction plane.

In the construction of the new helix I adapted the new functionalities to the already developed software. The parameters of the input command related to number of cycles,  number of steps per cycle,  starting angle, direction of rotation and whether the construction planes must be deleted or not, remain unchanged.

A new field has been inserted in the input command interface. It allows the selection of the curve that defines the helix shape.

helix menu.png

The construction planes are always orthogonal to the axis even if it is a spline.

helix operations.png

In the creation of the helix all the operations of the previous add-in have been maintained and a separate component has been added that contains all the helix construction sketches and planes.

Should the construction not be as expected the above mentioned procedure allows to quickly delete all the construction and the helix spline created in a separate sketch named HELIX.

menu options.png

A circle with variable radius is drawn on every construction plane.

It's radius is calculated taking the distance between the axis and the intersection of the generatrix spline with the construction plane. 

line.png

The construction planes start from the first point of the curve that defines the axis and stop at the extreme point of the axis.Define Curve.png

In the construction it is necessary that the generatrix spline is wider than the axis so that the first and last construction planes intersect with the spine in two real points.

The helix construction allows creating of a helix which has a straight axis and is slanted of a certain angle, simulating what the standard Fusion coil operation does.

generatrix.png

If the generatrix line crosses the helix axis this is the result:

crosses.png

This construction allows the obtaining of different helix shapes that can be exemplified by the following pictures.
Shape1.png

shape2.png

shape4.pngWe can further complicate the construction using a spline as a helix axis and a spline as a generatrix. A huge range of possible developments opens up.

profiles.png

If you add profiles to the helix path, you can create very complex models.

The following are only two examples that can be obtained if the manual loft operation between the shapes chosen along the helix path are added to the helix construction.

complex.png

complex2.pngSomebody will be able to recognize some models I have published in the Fusion gallery, using the loft operation and adding the rendering operation.

My current plan is to publish other models in the Fusion gallery in the near future.

gallery1.png

gallery2.png

When all the elements are used, we can obtain really strange models.

strangemodel.png

I would like to receive hints for further developments and comments on other models that can be created with this add-in.

As a last example, here is the creation of a logarithmic spiral that starts from the projection of a helix that has a generatrix spline created by a logarithmic function.

logarithmic spiral.png

logarithmic spiral2.png

logarithmic spiral3.png

I would like to know if there are other Fusion methods that can be used to simply create a logarithmic spiral.

To better understand the creation process I made a set of screencast into a video posted on Youtube link below. Click on this YouTube link to watch the video.

render.pngMy name is Dino Coglitore and I teach IT in a Technical Secondary school in Palermo (Italy)

Dino.png

My experience with Fusion 360 started by creating simple models to learn 3D modeling. But the real boost was to introduce the possibility to do programming in relation to 3D Fusion Modelling. That brought me to study Python and Fusion Api.

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have about the script development. I hope my experience will be useful for the community. Suggestions, criticisms and proposals are welcome. You can PM me @dinocoglitore or email me at dinocoglitore@tin.it. I look forward to your feedback!

I would like to particularly thank Brian Ekins for his support in the development of my project. Claudia has my particular acknowledgement for her help in the English translation and Tanya, my lovely partner, for her support and her patience.

Thank you and good helix's!

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
audaysami
in reply to: dinocoglitore

Its just what Fusion 360 needs to be perfect. thank you Dino.

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 6

Dear Mr. Coglitore,

Your article about helixes that follow splines is really interesting and matched exactly what I am looking for. In my search for a way to build helixes, I have tested the first version of the add-in, that created cylindrical helixes.

Yet, I would like to use the second version, with which I can shape the profile of a helix. After reading your post and related documentation, I am struggling to find the add-in in the Autodesk environment and also on Github. Could you kindly give me a hint where I can find the add-in, so that I can install it in my Fusion 360?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Best Regards,

Robert

Message 4 of 6

@rrupprechtJRVST wrote:

Your article about helixes that follow splines is really interesting and matched exactly what I am looking for. 

This is an old thread.

You can Sweep with Twist on 2D or 3D spline.

Sweep with Twist.PNG

Message 5 of 6

@TheCADWhisperer :

Thanks a lot for your response and the hint. I have tried the workflow that you suggested and got something that is satisfactory to what I wanted to design. Yet, after testing the first version of the helix plugin, I am convinced that it is the more powerful way to create modified helixes as compared to the time consuming process of manually designing the planes and support points.
Please find below a screenshot of some practicing that I have done. Any hint to creating this kind of slope quick is highly appreciated.

BR,

Robert

Message 6 of 6
RobinMo
in reply to: dinocoglitore

@dinocoglitore I have found your first add-in here (https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-design-validate/creating-a-helix-around-a-3d-curve-with-fu...), but I am unable to get the "create helix following an open sphere" dialog as seen in your pictures. Can you share your script by uploading it somewhere?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report