Raster 2009 with Civil 2009 on 64 bit Windows 7

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
aflewelling
5319 Views, 6 Replies

Raster 2009 with Civil 2009 on 64 bit Windows 7

Hello,

I've installed Civil 3D 2009 64-bit on a Windows 7 computer. The install places the installation in c:\programs files (x86)
Civil 3D 2009 works fine.

Then, I run the deployment for Raster Design 2009 64-bit (RD) on the machine. RD gets installed under c:\program files

I try to initialize RD by launching the icon it created, and immediately it says something like 'path to acad.exe not found' -- so I browse for it (by default, it's looking for acad.exe in c:\program files, when it's acually under c:\program files (x86). I browse to c:\program files (x86)\autocad civil 3d 2009 and select acad.exe found there. The program launches fine, but none of the RD commands work. I try to insert an image, and get "unknown command".

1. Is there something I can do to NOT get the missing acad.exe when I launch the RD icon
2. Is #1 the reason why none of the commands in RD work after launching.

I feel like I'm missing a major hotfix here -- one that doesn't exist yet for Windows 7. My RD is up to date with all of the other updates and 64-bit hot fixes. Thanks,
-Anton
Anton Flewelling
CAD Manager
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: aflewelling

There is a small problem with installing Raster Design on a 64 bit operating
system. Since you did the deployment method I cannot answer directly, but
the installation will not even work when installed with the DVD so here is
what I have to do:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=11326243&linkID=9240697

Good Luck,

Bill

wrote in message
news:6285019@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hello,

I've installed Civil 3D 2009 64-bit on a Windows 7 computer. The install
places the installation in c:\programs files (x86)
Civil 3D 2009 works fine.

Then, I run the deployment for Raster Design 2009 64-bit (RD) on the
machine. RD gets installed under c:\program files

I try to initialize RD by launching the icon it created, and immediately it
says something like 'path to acad.exe not found' -- so I browse for it (by
default, it's looking for acad.exe in c:\program files, when it's acually
under c:\program files (x86). I browse to c:\program files (x86)\autocad
civil 3d 2009 and select acad.exe found there. The program launches fine,
but none of the RD commands work. I try to insert an image, and get
"unknown command".

1. Is there something I can do to NOT get the missing acad.exe when I
launch the RD icon
2. Is #1 the reason why none of the commands in RD work after launching.

I feel like I'm missing a major hotfix here -- one that doesn't exist yet
for Windows 7. My RD is up to date with all of the other updates and 64-bit
hot fixes. Thanks,
-Anton
Message 3 of 7

Hey, I am having a similar problem, but it is with 2010 products on a Windows 7 64-bit machine. Raster Design works with AutoCAD 2010, but does not work with Civil3D 2010. The link for the fix above does not work. Can someone help?
Message 4 of 7
aflewelling

Link is broken. Here is the contents and the solution (apparently, you can only have Raster Design work for EITHER 64 bit installs (autocad, map, etc.) OR 32-bit installs (civil 3d). You have to pick one.
-Anton

Published date: 2009-Dec-15
ID: TS1083246

Applies to:
AutoCAD® Civil 3D® 2010
AutoCAD® Civil 3D® 2009
AutoCAD® Land Desktop 2009
AutoCAD® Map 3D 2009
AutoCAD Raster Design 2009

You installed a 32-bit version of AutoCAD® 2009 or 2010 or other AutoCAD vertical product, such as AutoCAD® Map 3D 2009, AutoCAD® Civil 3D® 2009, or AutoCAD® Civil 3D® 2010, on your 64-bit operating system. However, when you tried to install AutoCAD Raster Design 2009 or 2010 and link it with these products, you received the following error message:

No supported desktops for AutoCAD Raster Design 2009 were found...
Please Exit and Install a supported desktop before proceeding.

This error message indicates that the installer was not able to find a 64-bit application.

To correct this issue, you need to redirect the installer to look for 32-bit applications on the 64-bit operating system. Follow these steps:

Copy the entire contents of the installation disk to a folder on the hard drive.
In the root of this folder, locate the Setup.ini file and open it with Microsoft® Notepad.
Under [SETUP], modify the line below as follows:

Old line: x64_IMAGE_PATH=x64
New line: x64_IMAGE_PATH=x86

Save and close the Setup.ini file.
In the root of this folder, run the Setup.exe file.
Note: The following is a known feature limitation of AutoCAD® Map 3D 2009 on 64-bit operating systems:

The Map Image Insert command (MAPIINSERT) does not work.
Anton Flewelling
CAD Manager
Message 5 of 7

Thank you for posting that. I hope it works with my setup. I have already installed RD and it works with AutoCAD. I guess when I install it for C3D it will stop working for AutoCAD and MAP?
Message 6 of 7
aflewelling

Yes, I'm pretty sure you can only have Raster Design work in 64 bit mode, or 32 bit mode, and not both. I'd assume you'd have to uninstall Raster Design, and reinstall it using the fix. It seems you have to pick which format is most important to you! Sucks if you have limited licenses of Civil 3D, and use Autocad&Map3d&Civil 3D on the same machine to gain access to a larger license pool (as we do at our office).
Anton Flewelling
CAD Manager
Message 7 of 7
DRW_CAD

You can't run Raster Design on Civil 3D & AutoCAD 64 bit (assuming your ACAD is true 64). It does suck. we have 3rd party apps that support AutoCAD updates in a more timely fasion. Raster is not supported on Windows 7 yet it's recomended for Civil 3D.

You might try installing it twice & see what happens. I had Architecture which is true 64 and C3D on the same machine and Raster worked on Arch but not C3D. I did the fix above and it works on C3D & not Arch. I don't need it to run in Arch so I did go any further with it.

Here are a few other things:

You can edit the target string on the icon to point to the correct location. I added an icon for Raster into my C3D deployment with the correct argument.

Make sure all you have all these support paths, I add them into the arg file manually because RD historically has done a poor job of doing it automatically:

C:\Program Files\AutoCAD Raster Design 2010
C:\Program Files\AutoCAD Raster Design 2010\Help
C:\Program Files\Raster Design 2010 OE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\AxUi

This hot fix resolved some issues I was having saving files in RD:

http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=DL13435443

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost