Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

autocad for dos on xp computer

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
easymike29
739 Views, 5 Replies

autocad for dos on xp computer

It is possible to run autocad12 for dos on an xp computer. I have done it successfully. It requires a reboot and does not run in a window. If you wish details you can email me at .....
patandgene....@....worldnet.att.net
Remove the ....to reply
Gene
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
teiarch
in reply to: easymike29

easymike: Did you try the "experiemental" windows version that came with R12?

I had similar setup which required a reboot to/from the environment so the proper settings could be invokde for autocad versus "regular" dos. By your experience, one could assume that there still must be a fairly substantial dos kernel left in xp

Gotta ask why? though.....
Message 3 of 6
easymike29

tejarch
No I didn't try the Windows AutoCAD. I don't know anything about kernels but I want to be able to have one computer and one operating system (XP). I have no need for Windows cad so will stay with Dos.
Gene
Message 4 of 6
teiarch

Wow! Talk about your trips into the Twilight Zone!

By sticking with R12 you have saved several thousand dollars in upgrades that don't always work. On the other hand, the R12 interface is AWFUL. I would suggest you at least try R14.01. Having used both to some extent, I can recommend it highly.

(Probably what will happen is that R14 won't run under XP on your machine so you'll be no better off!)

Cheers!
Message 5 of 6
Tom97

Though this is intended more for old school DOS games, perhaps "DOS Box" could also work for DOS AutoCAD? I never tried it myself as I never needed to yet (have been using windows acad releases for years now).

Be warned though that dosbox needs alot of overhead (current technology) to run even 386 level software sufficiently in XP.
Message 6 of 6
teiarch

Recalling from memory (no pun intended), R12 DOS versions had explicit environmental settings to enable it to function with any speed whatsoever. These settings were unique to Autocad.

The trick was to reboot, introduce an new set of autoexec.bat files suitable for R12. When done, the opposite occurs, reboot and restore the "normal" settings. With a couple of old routines, don't see why this couldn't be done in XP.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums