cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spec Driven P&ID, Validation, P&ID Line List and Spec Part Property

Spec Driven P&ID, Validation, P&ID Line List and Spec Part Property

When using Spec Driven P&ID and setting the Spec Part in P&ID then validating your project there appears to be no check between Plant and P&ID to confirm that the component placed in Plant is the same as the one assigned in P&ID.

Example, using the out-of-the-box CS150 Spec, I place a Gate Valve in P&ID and set the Spec Part to GATE VALVE, DOUBLE DISC, 8" ND, 150 LB, RF, ASME B16.10, 11 1/2" LG, ASTM A216 GR WPB, HAND WHEEL, H=42", W=19 1/2" and assign the tag HA-101

Then in Plant 3D I add HA-101 but as a GATE VALVE, DOUBLE DISC, 8" ND, 150 LB, BW, ASME B16.10, 16 1/2" LG, ASTM A216 GR WPB, HAND WHEEL, H=42", W=19 1/2"

When I run validation nothing alerts me that Plant has HA-101 as a BW valve while P&ID has HA-101 as a Flanged valve.

Validation should be checking for discrepancies like this.

Furthermore, using Place Item on the P&ID Line List should place the correct valve to begin with.

Lastly, when using Assign Tag on the P&ID Line and changing it from an 8" line to a 10" line, this should only change the Valve Size and not set the Spec Part back to a BW valve when it was set to a Flanged valve to begin with.

These things need to be fixed in the program to make the Spec Driven P&ID more usable and valuable.

2 Comments
kreene
Explorer

I was having the same issue but found a solution. Under the project settings perform the following:

2017-07-28_11-19-54.png

Map the "Spec Part" field of the P&ID component to "Long Description (Size)" field of the P3D component. This makes sense but I don't know why it would not be selected by default. Unfortunately you will have to perform this for ALL components that are meant to be equal. I have tested and confirmed when the 2 are not equal a flag is thrown, even if both are "Gate Valve" class. I tested PID with manual actuation field and one with a motor actuation and it found the inconsistency!

Kevin

RickFrance
Advocate

Sorry I have taken so long to respond but I wanted to say thank you and that does work and fixes the majority of the issues.

However, as you stated also, this should be the default setting for Spec Driven Projects and not something we should have to set on every component.

Also, the issue where you change the line size on the P&ID should not reset all the valves back to BW or whatever the first available part in the spec. If it was set to a RF Valve then it should remain a RF Valve and just change the size.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost