cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to add new equipment types (classes) for Plant 3D

Ability to add new equipment types (classes) for Plant 3D

This is an enhancement request to have the ability to add new classes (equipment types) under the root of the Equipment section in Project Setup. Currently, any equipment that doesn't fit into one of the existing classifications would have to be created under "Misc Equipment" using a tag prefix or some other designation to identify the actual type of equipment on a report.

13 Comments
dbutts7
Collaborator

I'd like to expand this - also be able to remove or move class definitions into a different category or class. There are a few that can't be removed, even though we never use them.

RickFrance
Collaborator

You can do this with SQL or even a SQL Lite Editor, but it is not "supported" by Autodesk. However I have done this for years with no issues as long as you know what you are doing. I may consider this for a future article in a Hagerman Newsletter.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear RickFrance, could you indicate which is the procedure please

RickFrance
Collaborator

Plant 3D Class Definitions > Piping and Equipment > Equipment

You cannot right click on Equipment and add a new Class Definition. You can do this on the P&ID side but not the Plant side. You can also do this in SQL, but most people do not have that ability and there are multiple tables in SQL that you would need to add it to.

liu_jingxiong
Observer

Dear RickFrance:

When you say 'You can also do this in SQL', you mean for adding a new class definition in P3d equipment of for adding a new class definition in P3d P&ID?

If your 'do this in SQL' is for adding a new class definition in P&ID, then ignore my comment.

If your 'do this in SQL' is for adding a new class definition in Equipment, then could you pls. show us some prcedures or SQL files or something that can help us? We do have some knowledges in SQL.

Thank you!

RickFrance
Collaborator

As stated in the previous post - "on the P&ID side but not the Plant side"

RickFrance
Collaborator

That being said though, I am pretty sure it can be done on the Plant Side using the same method just different tables.

I've been trying extensively to clean up and add to the 3D component classes. It really looks like they hard-coded the 3D classes into the Project Setup dialog, which is just terrible code development. I've tried extensively to get rid of those completely useless Equipment subclasses, but P3D always fails to load the project once they are removed. I would be that if I looked at the code that trapped the Heat Exchanger and Flume classes into the P&ID dialogs, it would be plain to see that the developer who did that work failed to use the proper methods to add them, and hacked those items into the Project Setup class tree, just the same as was done for the 3D Equipment subclasses.

I was mistaken, I'd missed a table that contained pointers to the Equipment subclass. Here is a list of the tables I deleted records from to get rid of the unwanted classes.

Piping.PnPColumnAttributes.TableName
Piping.PnPProperties.TableName
Piping.PnPTableAttributes.TableName
Piping.PnPTables.TableName

Michiel.Valcke
Advisor

This is still an issue, have there been any other developments recently to make this possible for users?

Garrett.Brothers
Advocate

Someone else reposted this idea here (2021).  I'm tagging the people who voted on that idea so that they can vote on this idea, too.

@DGRL 

@George.Endrulat 

@scott.hallmarkLDSNU 

@sanyu-001 

@daniel_musick 

@JohnStory 

@jjbt7 

@francisco.felixXKUR8 

@rosaslg 

@李榕华|Ronghua.LI (sorry if this doesn't tag you properly, I don't know how to enter those characters)

@HackneMa 

@lewis.parkinsLS9W9 

@MARTINAMEDEO2597 

@rbrennan7BK6M 

@Anonymous 

@Ray_K 

@Anonymous 

@breznovsky 

Zhars
Enthusiast

@jason.drew 

@RickFrance

@liu_jingxiong 

Yes it is possible to modify the Piping.dcf and add the necessary records.  See below for an example, added "Test" Equipment type.

Piping.PnPColumnAttributes.TableName

Zhars_1-1714082304742.png

Piping.PnPProperties.TableName

Zhars_2-1714082348253.png

Piping.PnPTables.TableName

Zhars_3-1714082451470.png

Zhars_0-1714081826557.png

@Zhars, have you tested this with the P&ID mapping? Also, we're not seeing that you created the entries we'd expect in the PnPBase for your Test class. Have you found them to be unnecessary?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report