AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select pipes more faster

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
mohammedhewieg
398 Views, 11 Replies

Select pipes more faster

In  a cad drawing contains several connected pipes when I select pipe it takes long long time to select one pipe.

How to select pipes more faster in cad 3d plant drawing?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
h_eger
in reply to: mohammedhewieg

Dear @mohammedhewieg ,

By getting a high-performance computer system.
e.g.

https://www.dell.com/de-de/shop/workstations/mobile-precision-7760-bauen-sie-ihr-eigenes/spd/precisi... 

-

If my reply was helpful, please give a "Kudo" or click the "Accept as Solution" button below (or both).

Hartmut Eger
Senior Engineer
Anlagenplanung + Elektotechnik
XING | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 3 of 12

What method are you using to select the pipes? Are you aware of the RMB options (select connected ....) or other selection methods like Quickselect?

Message 4 of 12

I know about add to selection options,
But in this case there are many pipes are connected together with equipments so the selection of one pipe takes a long time till the software respond and I be able to do changes on the selected pipe
Message 5 of 12
h_eger

what does waiting a long time mean to you in terms of time?
1 min
3 min
5 min
etc.

Do you have your project locally on your PC or is the location of your project on the server (network drive)?

Did you check in the Windows TaskManager if AutoCAD Application does not give any feedback during the time of selecting the pipeline?

-

If my reply was helpful, please give a "Kudo" or click the "Accept as Solution" button below (or both).

Hartmut Eger
Senior Engineer
XING | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
mohammedhewieg
in reply to: h_eger

Usually it takes from one to two minutes to select a connected pipe.

But while the pipe is free I takes no time to select it .

Is there a procedure in selection of connected pipes to make cad act the same way of selection the free pipe?

Is that idea possible in cad?

Message 7 of 12
h_eger

What about the rest of the answers?

-

Hartmut Eger
Senior Engineer
XING | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
mohammedhewieg

All answers giving same result that the selection of pipe which is connected to several pipes take minutes to make cad respond and able to add new objects to the desired pipe.
Message 9 of 12
johan.degreef

Why should one invest in a PC from todays standards to run a software that was written 20yrs ago?

Inventor 2025, Vault Professional 2025, Autocad Plant 3D 2025
Message 10 of 12

@johan.degreef  because software evolves? 

@mohammedhewieg Besides the whole hardware requirements issue, It sounds to me you also have a lot of individual components / objects in a single .dwg. Are you using xref's to optimize the total size of your .dwg? If you are using custom parts, did you simplify the geometry as much as possible, or are you using a lot of detail in your custom parts? Do you have additional geometry in your .dwg like buildings, structures, environment?

This might be a good read in general about how to manage large projects in Plant 3D.

Message 11 of 12
h_eger

@johan.degreef ,

That's an interesting approach - how do you know that AutoCAD and its vertical products were developed 20 years ago?
Then I wonder why we have developer meetings every month to update AutoCAD and their verticals.

-

Hartmut Eger
Senior Engineer
XING | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 12 of 12

@Michiel.Valcke wrote:

@johan.degreef  because software evolves? 
This might be a good read in general about how to manage large projects in Plant 3D.

This is a revised document from 2015.

Inventor 2025, Vault Professional 2025, Autocad Plant 3D 2025

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report