AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programs that can work with P3D

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
DGRL
610 Views, 6 Replies

Programs that can work with P3D

Dear Autodesk,

I am getting a question from my customers about what programs can work with the Plant 3D database.

Elaboration,

Customer is using a program for maintenance ( unknown what program ) and wants to make a connection with the P3D database in order to connect that data to some maintenance sheets

Simply said like this.

We have an maintenance system running, can it talk with Plant 3D

I already told them that there approach is wrong and they need to look at the api / com interfaces.

Also look at the program they use to see what language it is written in and what import capabilities are in that specific program

Can someone please confirm to me what is correct?

Is there a list of well known ( maintenance like ERP ) programs / systems that works with P3D

If there is no such list can someone please elaborate how to approach this and if possible how I can explain how these things are really working in Plant 3D

If I am wrong please let me know.

Hope to hear from someone

Kind regards

If this was of any help please kudo and/or Accept as Solution
Kind Regards
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JHoward_HOB
in reply to: DGRL

I am not the authority or anything, but I find it HIGHLY unlikely that you will find what you seek.

The Plant 3D package is largely tied to DCF files and a DCF file is nothing more than an SQLite database with a different file extension. It would be entirely possible to make something that read information out of those, but I sure wouldn't want to undertake something like that. Coming at it through the .Net API (requires AutoCAD) is painful enough, but without the assists the API gives I would consider it more effort than it was worth to unravel/find the information

So, you could do exactly what your wanting to do with those, but if you wish to write back to the DCF's...... Well, I don't know if you can easily do that without causing corruption; it would be pretty dangerous territory.

Here are the relational diagram for the P3D database:

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/PlantSDK_ERD.zip

Check out our blog @ HouseOfBIM.com
Message 3 of 7
dgorsman

"Works with" is a bit vague.  What, specifically, is the goal?  Tracking part ID numbers?  Querying location?  Tracking service history?

Plant3D is backed by a database, which may be SQLite or SQL Server, although for anything substantial the latter is pretty much a given.  So anything that can query tables in a SQL Server database can read model data.

Have a read:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-plant-3d/learn-explore/caas/simplecontent/content/dat...

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-plant-3d/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017/...

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 7
DGRL
in reply to: JHoward_HOB

Hi @JHoward_HOB

Thanks for this email

The file you attached is nice and contains good info.
may I ask you where you downloaded this from?

I want to get the 2016 or 2017 version

Kind regards

Kind Regards
Message 5 of 7
Dan.Scales

Hi @DGRL,

It may be possible, depending on the type of database you are trying to connect and what you want to achieve:

External-Database-Reference-Manager

Drive AutoCAD Plant 3D and AutoCAD P&ID Data Using the External Database Reference Manager

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Scales
Message 6 of 7
DGRL
in reply to: Dan.Scales

Hi @Dan.Scales

Thanks for the reply

Just to clarify

What we want is a complete list of all the so called maintenance programs that can work with plant 3D

Simple as that

The maintenance program needs to be able to read data from P3D and/or P&ID.

The program then needs to process that data into sheets for maintenance engineers in the field to do maintenance.

I know already that there is no such list ( correct me if Im wrong)

Can you please provide me documents that explain how to work with API / com interfaces or any other tool that helps us to talk with other programs.

Kind regards

Kind Regards
Message 7 of 7
Dan.Scales

Hi @DGRL,

You are correct, the list you are asking for does not exist.

I also don't have any documents that explain how to work with API or any other tool that would help connect Plant to other programs.

My advice would be to contact the Autodesk Developer Network.

Autodesk Developer Network

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Scales

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost