AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plant 3D - equipment converted from an xref. No snaps available.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
BHampshire
1110 Views, 9 Replies

Plant 3D - equipment converted from an xref. No snaps available.

This error seems to only affect plant 3d 2019 and 2021. Using 2017 it was possible to convert an xref to plant equipment and still have grips available. This error is also intermittent in nature. It is possible to have the equipment have snap capability sometimes, but I have not yet worked out what the reason for this is.

Attached an xref and try converting to equipment. See if you can still snap it to it. If you experience this issue please email Autodesk Customer Support customersupport@autodesk.com and quote CaseNo:16906143 to raise the priority of this issue. Thanks for reading.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
h_eger
in reply to: BHampshire

Dear @BHampshire ,

can you please tell me the place in the Plant 3D documentation where this working method is described!
I've been in the Plant 3D team since 2007 and have been working with Plant 3D since 2009, but I don't know this way of working.
Doesn't make sense either and is no longer supported since the 2017.1 update.

Not everything that is possible with AutoCAD can be used in Plant 3D, please note this.

-

If my reply was helpful, please give a "Kudo" or click the "Accept as Solution" button below (or both).

Hartmut Eger
Senior Engineer
Anlagenplanung + Elektotechnik
XING | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
BHampshire
in reply to: h_eger

Hi @h_eger ,

You're quite right, it is no longer in the Plant 3D documentation as a working method. But this method does work sometimes, not all of the time though. It isn't as if it has been removed from the product deliberately and properly otherwise it would surely not work at all or at least fail all of the time rather than being an intermittent issue?

All the best,

Brendan

Message 4 of 10
h_eger

Dear @BHampshire ,

all AutoCAD functions that are not described in Plant 3D can work but do not have to work.

It is up to you to use such working methods with all the advantages and disadvantages
I would go the way that Plant 3D supports.

-

If my reply was helpful, please give a "Kudo" or click the "Accept as Solution" button below (or both).

Hartmut Eger
Senior Engineer
XING | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
BHampshire

Hi @h_eger ,

I'll pick my battles, perhaps not wisely, but I'd rather see this functionality remain in the package than to lose functionality from it. Autodesk get away with a lot, this is one I don't want them getting away with.

Thanks for your advice!

All the best,

Brendan

Message 6 of 10
h_eger

Hi @BHampshire ,

70c476d84935edc8c75d5c2685ad1cf1.jpg

-

Hartmut Eger
Senior Engineer
XING | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
Tomislav.Golubovic

I'm in the same boat, I've been working with Plant3D since its inception in 2010 and never been able to convert the XREF. You have to do it in the Equipment model, XREF that to the piping, THEN you can connect to the nozzles. Unless I misunderstand your issue?

Message 8 of 10

Hi,

I would like to return to the way of xrefencing in an equipment model such as a pump and then convert the xref to plant 3d equipment. This workflow allows us to be able to update the equipment models as we get vendor information without having to open the whole equipment layout, it's possible to just a single equipment item. With having masses of equipment layouts each for different areas or floors it's hard to see how the file size would remain workable once full detail design is reached. We been able to convert xrefs into plant equipment since 2010 up to 2017, but then the functionality become flaky in 2019 and 2021. I believe that it's still possible to convert xrefs as pipe supports, just not equipment.

All the best,

Brendan

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Message 10 of 10
Tomislav.Golubovic
in reply to: Anonymous

You convert the equipment inside the XREF..... the only thing I can think of is that you've been selecting the XREF, then right clicking on it and saying "Open XREF" then you add the nozzles where you need to, then close the XREF.

Otherwise the functionality has been the same for years. Make an Equipment model, insert your blocks or make Equipment and then XREF that to the piping.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report